Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Compaq Mini cq10-400

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Radarbob

Radarbob

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 PM

Posted 11 August 2011 - 06:30 PM

Hoping someone can help me out on this.

I have a Compaq Mini CQ10-400 (of course a couple months out of warrenty) that just won't start up.

I power it on, get the flash for 'hit ESC' for startup menu, then the computer screen goes blank with the cursor flashing in the top left corner.

I am able to run the system diagnostics, everything looked ok, but the memory test would occassional fail, so I put in a new 1 G memory card that is compatible. This didn't make any difference. I tried the System Recovery (F11) option, but I got the same result. Just flashing in the top left corner.

I pulled the hard disk out and put it in another HP laptop I have, not expecting anything. Surprisingly, it let me go into safe mode, so it doesn't appear that the HD is toasted.

I tried pulling out the battery and holding the power switch on for a while to drain the battery, and just about anything else I could think of.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Edited by Budapest, 11 August 2011 - 06:40 PM.
Moved from Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs ~Budapest

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Skizzle

Skizzle

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2011 - 08:18 PM

Did you try only running one stick of ram, the one you had lying around?

#3 Radarbob

Radarbob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2011 - 10:44 PM

It only has 1 memory stick, which I tried replacing. Didn't do anything for me.

#4 Skizzle

Skizzle

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2011 - 11:22 PM

Cause 1
This issue may occur if you have a CD, a DVD or a floppy disk in your CD, DVD, or floppy drive when you start the computer.

Cause 2
This issue occurs if one or more of the following elements are corrupted and will not load during the boot sequence of the computer:
Master boot record
Partition tables
Boot sector
NTLDR file

-Resolution for Cause 1
To resolve this issue, remove the media in your CD, DVD, or floppy drive and then restart the computer.

-Resolution for Cause 2
Find your operating system disc, and start the computer with it. You may have to enter the bios and make first boot device your CD rom. Then try to run a repair using the prompts. If not, its a fresh install for you most likely. Unfortunately to me it sounds as if something was damaged file wise.

#5 Radarbob

Radarbob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2011 - 09:23 AM

The computer doesn't have a cd/dvd/floppy drive, so cause 1 is out.

As per cause 2, I am not sure if a virus could have caused a problem with the MBR. I am unaware what led up to the problem with the computer in the 1st place (my wifes computer). With the compaq mini, it comes with the windows 7 starter? or light? version.

If it is an MBR problem, then I would need to boot up with a flash drive and see if it can be fixed. I am not sure where to find the software to put on the flash drive to do that.

I am more worried that it could possibly be a mother board problem, but I would have thought that I would have got some beeps/lights flashing on startup to indicate that.

As stated earlier, I was able to boot up the hard drive in another 'real laptop' (not a mini) in safe mode. I am not as willing to take my hard disk out of my laptop and put it in the mini (to verify it is a hardware problem or not), as I don't want all the drivers etc to install for all the new hardware it would find. Don't want to risk screwing up my 'real' laptop.

If it is a MBR problem, I don't think it would be a very good idea to try and fix it in my 'real' laptop, as it has dissimilar hardware. Not sure what would happen.

#6 Skizzle

Skizzle

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2011 - 12:28 PM

To me it sounds like a boot file problem. It shows in specs that computer came with Windows 7 starter. There should be a disc that came with it that has the OS preloaded onto it.
If not, which most dont now a days,

to re-install the Windows 7 (Operating System = OS) you may use recovery partition, the recovery partition has been reserved at hidden space at your HDD to restore the operating system, dirver and utility. please follow these step:

1.ensure to connect your netbook to the AC power adapter before using F9 recovery to avoid recovery failure
2.Press (F9) during bootup, if the netbook at on posisiton, you may restart then pre F9 during bootup (ensure to press F9 only once during bootup)
3.Click Recovery in the Recovery System dialog box to start the system recovery
4.the system start system recovery automatically and follow the onscreen instruction to complete the recovery process
5.press F9 when booting the netbook, but before do that recovery, you must ensure that the netbook connect to the AC power adapter to avoid recovery failure
just for your information, new netbook should be came with the Support DVD and recovery system otherwise you may ask to the vendor where you bought about that

#7 Radarbob

Radarbob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2011 - 03:57 PM

No, they don't send out these minis with discs. But then again, I don't have an external drive to plug into the mini anyway.

I tried the recovery partition, but that didn't do the trick either. Just hangs in the same place after I choose the recovery option. So basically the recovery option never gets started.

#8 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2011 - 05:29 PM

Hello Radarbob and welcome to bleepingcomputer.

I would like to do some research on your mini CQ10-400 computer, I believe your computer system is a system sold outside the USA, which is where I am located.

If your model number is CQ10-400, there should be letters following the number 400, such as CA, EJ, SA, SD etcetera.

Can you please post what those two letters are?

An example is: CQ10-400CA

If your model number is a USA model, it should be CQ10-405.

Thanks in advance.

Bruce.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 45 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#9 Radarbob

Radarbob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2011 - 08:17 AM

It is CQ10-400CA. No where on the machine or bios does it indicate these letters, but my wife had the old box it came in which indicated it was a CQ10-400CA.

#10 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2011 - 12:32 AM

Thank you for your reply.

First off, lets get the support pages up in this thread for your Compaq mini CQ10 400CA computer.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/product?product=4222475&cc=us&dest_page=product&dlc=en&lc=en&query=Compaq%20mini%20CQ10-400CA

I have read through this post and realize you have tried several things already, you mentioned you did a hard reset, with the battery out and the power button pressed in.
The hard drive worked in another computer, but not in this one.

Below I am offering some possibilities as to what the cause may be and how to perhaps correct it.

Recover an Earlier Version of BIOS Please read up on this in more detail at the link below.

If your notebook's BIOS becomes corrupted - either due to a bad install of a BIOS upgrade or a some other software-related mishap - then the computer displays a black screen and does not boot. It will not load any BIOS or System Recovery screens, nor will it boot from peripheral devices, because those actions require a functional BIOS. If this happens, you can recover an earlier BIOS version in order to restore your notebook's basic functionality.
(more info at this link below)

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c02693833&tmp_task=solveCategory&cc=us&dest_page=product&dlc=en&lc=en&product=4222475&query=Compaq%20mini%20CQ10-400CA

Please make sure your RAM stick is fully seated in its slot and secured in place.

Make sure the hard drive is making a secure connection to its electrical mating contacts.

Overview of How to Troubleshoot Problems When a Computer Does Not Start Up or Boot Properly

Link: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01443371&tmp_task=solveCategory&cc=us&dest_page=product&dlc=en&lc=en&product=4222475&query=Compaq%20mini%20CQ10-400CA

System Recovery

Link: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documentSubCategory?tmp_rule=39554&tmp_task=solveCategory&cc=us&dest_page=product&dlc=en&lc=en&product=4222475&query=Compaq%20mini%20CQ10-400CA

System Recovery May Fail or Display Error Message

Link: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01612373&tmp_task=solveCategory&cc=us&dest_page=product&dlc=en&lc=en&product=4222475&query=Compaq%20mini%20CQ10-400CA

This part answers your question on how to obtain the files needed to perform a system recovery.

Overview of Recovering the OS or Reinstalling the Operating System

Performing a system recovery to return the computer to its original condition may be necessary if the operating system is damaged, the hard drive is corrupted, or the computer is infected by a virus.
Performing a system recovery removes all software and files saved to the hard drive, reinstalls the original operating system, and then configures the settings for the default programs.
HP provides several different recovery tools and processes Names for these tools include: Recovery Solution, Recovery Manager, F11, Recovery Disc, Driver and Application Recovery Disc, Roxio BackOntrack, Microsoft Backup & Restore.
for recovering notebook PCs to their original operating condition. To help you select the correct recovery process, the following table identifies the different models, the time frame when they were produced and sold, plus the originally configured operating systems. Click on the name of the document in the right column for detailed information on how to perform the recovery.

Link to downloads: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00006110&tmp_task=solveCategory&cc=us&dest_page=product&dlc=en&lc=en&product=4222475&query=Compaq%20mini%20CQ10-400CA

Please keep me updated to your progress and the results of anything you try, you may want to try the recovery option listed in my last link for you to visit.

I wish you success and if you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask, we are here to help you through this.

Bruce.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 45 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#11 Radarbob

Radarbob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2011 - 07:24 AM

I finally got a chance to go through the list of things to try.

Cool, didn't know you could back date the BIOS that way.

But nothing seemed to work for me. I had a look at the cost of ordering a recovery disk on flash drive for my machine, and got a shocker when I found out they were asking close to $90 for it. Not even sure that it was a flash drive as it sort of indicates it was a DVD. So when I add the cost of buying an external DVD drive (even though having one would be handy), it becomes pretty pricey compared to the cost of buying a new netbook.

There are a few more things I'll try from all the links you provided. If that doesn't work, I'll try putting the hard drive in another computer and see if I can rebuild the MBR. If that doesn't work, I'll consider reinstalling the OS with XP (I don't want to pay for a new Windows 7)

#12 Radarbob

Radarbob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2011 - 07:30 AM

I was just thinking, I could see if I could do the system recovery by putting the hard drive in a dissimilar machine, since I was able to boot in safe mode with that machine. Not quite sure what the results we be, but it will be one more thing to try.

#13 SilverFox46

SilverFox46

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2011 - 01:45 PM

Hi, I'm new here, this is my first post. I was wondering if you found a resolution to your startup problem with the compaq mini. I'm having the exact symptoms and I'm at my wits end.

#14 Radarbob

Radarbob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2011 - 02:45 PM

I tried everything. I finally pulled the hard drive out of my compaq mini and put it into another laptop. I was able to run the system recovery on startup (it wouldn't successfully restore to an eariler date). After it had run the system recovery, I put the hard disk back in the compaq mini. I lost all the data, but at least the machine is working again. Only other thing I could have done is paid around $90 for a recover disk on a flash drive. Didn't want to spend that kind of bucks when I wasn't sure if that was going to fix it.

Good luck!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users