Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Entire Open Office Document replaced by pound signs!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
10 replies to this topic

#1 BridgetD96

BridgetD96

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 AM

Posted 11 August 2011 - 01:53 PM

Please help me, I'm absolutely terrified I've lost my most important document.
Today I tried to open a project I was working on, and I was greeted by a little popup that asked me to set the text, language, and alignment of the document. I clicked okay.
Then another box popped up and it said "document file is locked for editing by unknown user." open read only document or a copy for editing." both choices sent me to my 137 page document, where every piece of text was replaced with pound signs. (###)

I have no idea what to do. Please, please help me out. This is so important.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,049 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2011 - 09:03 AM

Hello,

Where was the document stored?

Were you using your own computer when this happened?

Do you have a backup copy elsewhere?

Orange Blossom :cherry:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Internet Security, NoScript Firefox ext.

animinionsmalltext.gif

#3 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2011 - 02:11 PM

This is just a wild shot but could it be a corrupt font?
What font wa used on the document?
In the beginning there was the command line.

#4 TulsaRose

TulsaRose

• Members
  • 367 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 AM

Posted 13 August 2011 - 07:03 AM

Open Office Forum may be of some help, too.

WinXP Pro sp3 \ Firefox, Panda, MBAM, SAS, SpywareBlaster

#5 lhamil64

lhamil64

• Members
  • 200 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 AM

Posted 14 August 2011 - 04:06 PM

This may sound obvious, but did you try hitting Undo (Ctrl+Z)? Also, if you didn't save the document, you could try just closing it and reopening it. If it still does it, then try selecting all and change the font.

#6 tork

tork

• Members
  • 718 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2011 - 05:13 PM

See if you have a backup file. Here is how to find the location of the Open Office backup folder:
Open Open Office
Click Tools
Click Options
In the left pane under OpenOffice.org Click Paths
In the right pane the paths used by Open Office are displayed, including the path for Backups

Once you've got the path for the backups, navigate to the folder and see if your file is there. Crossing fingers for you that it is.

If not, I found an Open Office troubleshooting document

Recovering content from a damaged OpenOffice.org file - http://documentation.openoffice.org/HOW_TO/misc/Troubleshooting_guide.html#8.Recovering%20content%20from%20a%20damaged%20OpenOffice.org%20file%20|outline

I personally haven't used the method, but included it because it's worth a shot if you can't recover the file via a backup.

Good luck and hope it works.

tork

#7 Overpass

Overpass

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 AM

Posted 12 November 2014 - 10:50 PM

11-12-2014

Hi Bridge,

I know it's been a while since you lost your document back in 2011. I feel for you, just couple days ago I lost my most important document, 600+ pages. My question is whether you ever found a fix for it?

#8 tgee1963

tgee1963

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:33 PM

Posted 21 November 2014 - 04:07 PM

Had the exact same issue in OO 4.1. I've tried the zip option without success, so I tried opening with a hex editor. Turns out there is nothing to salvage. Literally - nothing:

00 00 00 00 00 00 00

ad infinitum. I was hoping that if the text was in there mashed up with binary, I could reinstall my unix utilities for 'Doze and then cat urgentreport.odt | strings > urgentreport.txt . But there was no point sadly. And very regrettably, I discovered that the version of OO that I had shipped with "Always create backup" disabled, a stupid, stupid stupid default setting, almost as dumb as my assuming it was checked as it had been in the past, instead of double-checking everything before using it.

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,649 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2014 - 04:16 PM

One option that may work if you have Windows 7 is to right click the document and check for Previous Versions. These are stored with the Restore Points. You will not get the latest version but if it is shown under the previous version tab, you will at least get something.

http://www.howtogeek.com/56891/use-windows-7s-previous-versions-to-go-back-in-time-and-save-your-files/

#10 jfruch1

jfruch1

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2014 - 11:42 PM

All of you with OO problems.  If you saved your docs in MS Office file formats you can use a better free office suite called WPS office available from www.wps.com.  It's based on MS Office 2007. Has equivalent of Word, Excel and Powerpoint.

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,408 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 AM

Posted 23 November 2014 - 12:39 PM

Topic dates to 2011.

Topic closed to prevent further miscellaneous comments that seemingly are of no value when considering resolution of OP's stated issues.

Anyone with issues of any sort...should initiate a new topic, clearly outlining the perceived issues.

Thanks for understanding :).

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 23 November 2014 - 12:41 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users