Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Interpreting performance assessment

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 woodsman345

woodsman345

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 PM

Posted 11 August 2011 - 11:52 AM

Hey all,

I have a new win 7 notebook with a i7 2630 processor 2.0GH and it seems to run well. Out of curiosity I went to
control panel/performance and checked my performance assessment and it reads as following on
a scale of 1.0 to 7.9

1 Processor cals per sec 7.4

2 RAM operations per sec 7.5

3 Graphics 6.6
Desktop performance for
Windows Aero

4 Gaming graphics 6.6

5 Hard disc transfer rate 5.9

Total subscore 5.9
(can be no better than
the lowest score)

OK, I was curios about "BOOST" mode where you add USB ram to take the load
off the slow hard drive and re-ran the above assessment and the numbers did not change.
So, I gather that running boost mode in this machine is a waste of time if I am not a gamer or
into videos?
Where would I see a gain in boost mode ? Would it be a "seat of the pants" gain (in speed) or
can I actually see data like the chart above that would show the gain?

Was wondering if anyone can interpret for me the above ratings whether they are good or bad
and what it will take to get the 5.9 subscore up just for fun.
It has a new 750G 5400 rpm factory replacement HD. The original Hitachi HD croaked after
the machine was 1 month old. This is a WD drive that they sent me and makes for about the same
score as the original.

Seems to take a while to transfer data files and if I could speed that up it would be good.
I did not try that in boost mode.

I was hoping the boost mode would help the HD run a little faster but I see virus scans
still take about the same time.....long.

What would you folks do if you wanted this machine to boot faster and run virus scans
much faster? (if possible) I would only need about 250G in mass storage. Not sure if I can afford
a solid state HD at the moment,

Any info on this is appreciated.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2011 - 05:01 PM

Two options:

From slowest to fastest:

7200RPM hard drive, some improvement, Will shorten battery life
300Gb SSD drive best for speed, Approx $500+ Will improve battery life and reduce heat.

120Gb or 160Gb SSD little slower than the 300Gb but more affordable.

Recommended brands Intel, followed by Samsung or Kingston
Intel & Samsung have a toolkit for download. Buy a OEM Intel for example and save some money versus the retail that has cables and 2.5" to 3.5" adapter, not needed for a laptop.

Once you go SSD you will hate going back. You have a nice laptop why not super-speed it?

Read reviews on any drive you buy, there is at least one clunk brand out there.

Edited by rotor123, 11 August 2011 - 05:04 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 woodsman345

woodsman345
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2011 - 05:25 PM

I appreciate the input.

I need to understand why a 7200 rpm HD with a 3.0 transfer rate would be any quicker than a 5400 rpm
with the same transfer rate...would it be a matter of a faster access time with the 7200 as the only gain ?
I see they have a 6.0 transfer rate now but not sure of the price or availability.
Sadly I have grown weary of HD failures that seem to happen at the worst possible times for no good reason .

I'll do the research on the ssd's in a bit but why would the 300 be faster than the lesser ssd's?
Out of curiosity...
Sounds interesting. With the i7 and even a slow ssd this thing would really motor wouldn't it?
Cubic dollars beats cubic inches every time :)

Thanks

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2011 - 10:27 AM

I appreciate the input.

I need to understand why a 7200 rpm HD with a 3.0 transfer rate would be any quicker than a 5400 rpm
with the same transfer rate...would it be a matter of a faster access time with the 7200 as the only gain ?
I see they have a 6.0 transfer rate now but not sure of the price or availability.
Sadly I have grown weary of HD failures that seem to happen at the worst possible times for no good reason .

I'll do the research on the ssd's in a bit but why would the 300 be faster than the lesser ssd's?
Out of curiosity...
Sounds interesting. With the i7 and even a slow ssd this thing would really motor wouldn't it?
Cubic dollars beats cubic inches every time :)

Thanks

The transfer rate is part of a drives speed. Cache size comes into it, Platter speed also affects it because with a higher rotation the data can be read faster since the amount of data moving under the head of the drive is arriving faster. Latency is how long it takes the platters to arrive to be read, a faster drive less latency. Especially helps with lots of small files being accessed.

The 6.0 SATA spec can only help if both the drive and the controller support it.

My understanding about the speed differences between the SSD sizes is tied to a lower memory chip count in the smaller SSD and thus a lower memory bandwidth.

I used the 160Gb when I built the I7 desktop for my brother. It performs good. I used a second one in my older Toshiba laptop with a dual core and what a improvement. I would think I7 laptop would be even better.

I believe I read that Samsung makes the SSDs for Apple. My research seems to show that Intel SSDs are high reliability based on past performance. The Samsung and Intel SSDs for example are also lighter than a Kingston SSD.

As I have mentioned read the users reviews. There is one brand that has problems with their drives arriving DOA or dieing really fast. That seems to be hit or miss with that brand.

Edited by rotor123, 12 August 2011 - 10:30 AM.

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#5 woodsman345

woodsman345
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2011 - 03:35 PM

Good info.
I see an Intel 510 120GB for 259.99 which is about as much of a drive as I need at this time.

Wouldn't take much to prod me to go for it. I have been doing some investigating when time allows.

Question....What kind of can of worms would I be in for doing a data transfer to the new drive with the available tools that I see ?
I see that option for about 10 dollars more with some other ssd's but did not see it with this Intel.
If I can avoid another 8 hour reload I would rather.

Has an Intel 6 series/C200 chipset if I am looking at the right one. No idea what motherboard.
How would I know if a 6.0 transfer rate in compatable? How would I make it compatable ?
Device manager shows several controllers , not sure which one is what I have for the HD.
Sorry for all the questions.

Thanks

Edited by woodsman345, 12 August 2011 - 05:12 PM.

#6 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2011 - 05:09 PM

It isn't what the computer is used too, it is what the controller supports. Take the make and model of the computer and then call the makers tech support. I'm assuming Laptop due to the old drive being 5400 RPM hard drive.

You might want to also look at the Intel 320 series it only goes up to 3Gb transfer. However if your laptop doesn't support faster.....

Intel has a transfer utility for download. You could buy a inexpensive USB external case for a laptop SATA drive. Then use it to clone. When Done put the 750Gb drive into it and have a 750Gb external hard drive for the cost of the case.

This 320 Series 120Gb is only $204.99 today @ http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820167052

I should mention I am using the 160Gb and 300Gb version myself.

If you go Intel be sure to download and use their Toolkit and they also have Disk clone software for free too.

SAMSUNG 470 Series @ $199.99 today @ http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147125 Comes with Norton Ghost 15 for cloning.

I tried out one of their 60Gb in a older desktop here at work. If you go Samsung get their utility, Samsung SSD Magician software.

Edited by rotor123, 12 August 2011 - 05:10 PM.

167 @ June 2015

#7 woodsman345

woodsman345
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2011 - 06:09 PM

I called HP tech and the guy did some research on my machine (notebook) and indicated to me that for maximum speed the 6.0 would be the way to go.
But, he added that it probably will not utilize the full 6.0 rate but will be faster than the 3.0 rate.
He also recommended a reload rather than a data transfer. I was thinking the same thing because I am recalling now trying to clone a HD
once and it didn't work so well.
Thanks, any more ideas are welcome. I'll probably order it in the morning if nobody else chimes in with a potential problem.

I checked out the samsung link but I think that I will stay with Intel because they have allot to do with this machine already.
Check this Intel 510 out and see if you think that there is any reason it wont work in this notebook.
Doesn't say SATA II, just says SATA if that is of any concern.
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0364581

The tech guy said the 6.0 ssd with this processor would be stupid fast. Cool :clapping:

Release the hounds !!

Edited by woodsman345, 12 August 2011 - 07:33 PM.

#8 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2011 - 10:33 AM

from your link "Interface SATA 6.0Gb/s"

Good luck and don't forget to download the Intel SSD utilities and run it's optimization.

You might want to get a external drive case and reuse the old drive as a external data drive.

167 @ June 2015

#9 woodsman345

woodsman345
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2011 - 01:50 PM

Thanks Rotor

I picked up a case a couple months ago so I am good on that, I found the 510 for 229 last night and I will use the download load link for the utility software and will run it as per your suggestion. Maybe I'll try the clone job depends on if I feel lucky that day.

Edited by woodsman345, 13 August 2011 - 03:16 PM.

#10 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2011 - 09:09 AM

I cloned two computers of mine and did a fresh install on the other two, one new build and one it was time to reload.

I also did two fresh installs for customers. Don't forget to have all the proper Windows 7 drivers handy. I usually download the latest from the makers website so as to have the latest.

Good Luck

167 @ June 2015

#11 woodsman345

woodsman345
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2011 - 11:19 AM

I do not know what I have for drivers or what to look for to update them, I do know it is a new machine and contantly updating itself through HP and windows update. I think that I am good on that but not absolutly positive.
Seems that the first week it uploaded quite a few new updates. I have quite a long list of them.

OK I just went to the HP driver site and it would not auto detect this thing no matter what I did so I guess I'll live with the drivers I have, I think they are probably up to speed.

Edited by woodsman345, 15 August 2011 - 01:30 PM.

#12 woodsman345

woodsman345
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2011 - 09:55 PM

Well I put the 510 SSD in and this thing does everything faster. Also, the HP drive score (attached) jumped to a 7.8 out of a possible 7.9 from a previos score of 5.9 so I'd say things worked out pretty good.
Thanks for the advice Rotor, let me know what you think.
The Intel (Acronis) software would not recognize the drive and had to contact Intel support whom then directed me to the Acronis website and I went from there. Ended up with the paid 29 dollar version and that took care of it. Their free version did everything but clone. Figures.
I see Acronis has 3 startup entries and I am not real comfortable with that, not sure if those are necessary.
Give me your opinion when you can.
Thanks
Woodsman

Attached Files

#13 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2011 - 09:42 AM

If they are necessary or not depends on whether or not you intend to keep using the Acronis software for backups or not.

Now the hard drive is the fastest thing in the computer rather than the slowest.

Like a new faster computer with the speed bumped up isn't it.

The way I look at it, once you get used to faster startup times, programs popping open and such it'll be hard to go back.

Good Luck & good job.

167 @ June 2015

#14 woodsman345

woodsman345
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2011 - 10:51 AM

I won't be using Acronis for backups so I unchecked the startup boxes...I have my old drive which I can't get any better
than that for a backup :lol:
It kicks butt with that SSD , I was amazed. There won't be any going back now, like turning the boost up on a turbocharger. Virus scans are approx 2.5 times faster.
The damn thing kept going to sleep during the clone operation and when I swiped the pad to get it going , it started cloning
again and left the screen black. grrrrrr I lucked out and waited about 5 min after I saw the external ssd quick blinking and hit the spacebar and it rebooted and all was good. I posted in internal hardware/bios about this thing going to sleep every 20 min to a half hour with windows not running. It must ignore the control panel settings of 2 hours and go by the bios settings which are very limited in scope, there are no power parameters. I was plugged in and I didn't close the lid.
The rebate form for the drive is a science in itself...totally designed so that you will F up somehow or get frustrated and give up on it....which I wont LOL
Thanks

Edited by woodsman345, 20 August 2011 - 11:27 AM.

#15 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2011 - 11:40 AM

Did you install the Intel toolbox from their website and run the optimize feature of it?

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users