Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

is it necessary to use a program to safely remove usb devices?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 1102

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 AM

Posted 11 August 2011 - 08:38 AM

I have not used any special techniques for removing a usb device, I use backup drives, flash drives, printer, and scanner plugged into a usb hub, I've never done anything more than just unplug the device from the usb hub, for the backup hard drives I do unplug their power source then disco their usb connection but other than that I never use or consider to make sure I get a okay to remove the usb device.

I am using Windows 7, all three versions on three different computers, what is all the hype about to use the "safely remove usb device"?

Thanks for any help,

Stan

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:50 AM

Posted 11 August 2011 - 08:40 AM

While I've never had any problems disconnecting usb devices without using "safely remove", I've heard several stories from folks who claim their devices were damaged when they did so. And certainly it's important to make sure there is no read / write in progress when disconnecting a device. Bottom line, there's certainly no harm in doing it the "right way".

#3 1102

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2011 - 09:10 AM

Thank you for the quick reply Allan, I'm sure you are right about making sure no reading or writing is in progress but other than that its not enough to convince me to install the software, Thanks for your help.

Stan

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2011 - 09:26 AM

I'm not sure what you're referring to - there's nothing to be installed. "Safely Remove Hardware" is an integral part of the OS.

#5 1102

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2011 - 11:33 AM

yes, what brought it to mind though is this article: http://dottech.org/freebies/23175/free-usb-safely-remove-v4-7-limited-time-offer/

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2011 - 11:35 AM

Oh - yeah, I remember seeing that a few days ago. I agree it's a useless app - just use the one built in and you'll be fine.

#7 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2011 - 11:37 AM

I use the Safely Remove Hardware at all times. My externals have some relatively valuable data contained thereon and I would loathe to lose any of it for any reason. If anyone cares to snatch the plug on an external device, the potential for damage may be minimized by making sure write caching is disabled on the device through Device Manager.

#8 1102

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2011 - 12:05 PM

Alright, Thanks for the help Allan and bludgard!

#9 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2011 - 12:14 PM

:busy:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users