Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop hanging on black screen (flashing cursor top left)

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 nikkigilo

nikkigilo

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 AM

Posted 11 August 2011 - 08:13 AM

Hi,

Have my Dad's Fujitsu Esprimo laptop to uninstall Searchqu, Bandoo etc for him which were causing problems. That went fine, computer shut down and tried to install Windows updates. Now won't restart.

Hangs on Fujitsu screen with options for "<ESC>: Diagnostic Screen, <F2>:BIOS Setup, <F12>: Boot Menu" and Blue progress bar. Progress reaches about 75% complete VERY slowly (hour) but then hangs on black screen with white cursor in top left corner. Been like that for 2 hours now.

Have tried solutions from Google - click F2 then re-setting boot order in Bios to "default order", click F12 and choose different options, tried F8 for safe mode, but F8 doesn't do anything.

I don't know if it's related to Searchqu, to the updates or if it's just a creepy coincidence and the computer itself is actually broken. :(

He doesn't have a Windows7 installation cd.

Please help (i'm kind of regretting offering to help him now!)

Thanks very much - Nikki

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 PM

Posted 11 August 2011 - 09:35 AM

Can you not borrow Windows 7 install media from a friend? Make sure it is of the same version (including SP1 if applicable), otherwise there could result more issues.

Edited by bludgard, 11 August 2011 - 09:41 AM.

#3 nikkigilo

nikkigilo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2011 - 10:02 AM

Unfortunately, I've asked around and everyone else I know (me included) is running Vista, not windows 7

#4 FLCL

FLCL

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2011 - 01:13 PM

Try turning it off, removing the battery and then pressing and holding down the power button for about 15-30 seconds while the battery is out.

#5 nikkigilo

nikkigilo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2011 - 07:30 AM

Woohoo!
Thanks for your help Bludgard, started it up this morning with the disc and it allowed me to start it in safe mode and do a system restore.
All fixed!! :) :clapping:

Nikki

#6 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2011 - 09:59 AM

Maybe the Windows recovery partition (System Reserved) on the machine became corrupt, or isn't installed at all. I usually let Windows install WinRe, but it always seems to be the first thing that gets corrupted and one still has to have at least a System Repair disk (that can be created in conjuntion with, or independent of a System Image).

Anyway, glad you got it sorted. If you get the chance, back up those machines for a rainy day. When it rains, it sometimes pours.

Jody

Edited by bludgard, 12 August 2011 - 10:00 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users