Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP Running Slow with Hidden Virus

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 mj_holland1985

mj_holland1985

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:00 PM

Posted 11 August 2011 - 07:36 AM

My Vista recently crashed, so I pulled out the good ole Windows XP. I haven't had this computer up and running in a year, so I was very surprised when it took forever to turn on. The first thing I did was update the AVG free (it hadn't been updated since April 2010) and updated my Malwarebytes. When I went to get on Internet Explorer, it took about 20 minutes to load the homepage. There is a horrible lag in typing. My husband attempted to get on ebay, and the first thing it did was ask for a debit card and pin number. Instantly I knew we had a virus on our hands. I shut down and pulled up the computer in safe mode, ran malwarebytes and my AVG scanner, but they found no malicious items. Pulled up the control panel (took over a minute for that to come up) and did the defrag with no improvement. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, I'm not sure where to go from here. Thank you!

Edited by hamluis, 11 August 2011 - 09:16 AM.
Moved from XP to Am I Infected.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:00 PM

Posted 11 August 2011 - 07:44 AM

If the XP machine has not been powered on in over a year, the problems may be an outdated system.
Have you run Windows Update? Was it successful?

Also, look at some of the helpful tips in the following thread....

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic44690.html

Edited by bludgard, 11 August 2011 - 07:45 AM.

#3 mj_holland1985

mj_holland1985
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2011 - 08:14 AM

It won't let me run Windows update. I did everything on that list (it was the first place I checked) except for the programs that are active on startup. I did try to start it under "Selective Startup" and that showed no difference. Could it be a virus hidden under a "safe" program? I'm just not sure why we're having virus-like symptoms (especially the ebay thing, I have seen that before) and nothing is recognizing them.

#4 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2011 - 08:20 AM

Your thread will most likely be moved to another part of BC (Am I Infected), mj_holland1985.

Be patient and someone will be along to further assist. I apologize for not being able to exorcise the boogie-man from your machine.... :crazy:

#5 mj_holland1985

mj_holland1985
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2011 - 08:30 AM

Any help is appreciated!!! And I like the "boogie-man" thing... might keep my little girl away from this one :whistle:

#6 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2011 - 03:14 PM

I am by no means a malware expert, mj_holland1985, but I can suggest one or two things....

Download SUPERAntiSpyware Portable Scanner and run the MS/DOS App. If you must, copy the MS/DOS App to an external drive or memory card. ; plug it into the infected machine and run the MS/DOS App.

If that fails to produce results, open up the machine and do a thorough cleaning. Reseat all hardware possible. Make sure all connections are true.

If still no results, I will do as best I can to get your machine sorted.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users