Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dude I got a Dell Problem

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Blayman

Blayman

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 PM

Posted 11 August 2011 - 12:32 AM

I'm new to using forums.

Running Windows XP SP2
Working on a friends Dell Dimension 5150. First it would not turn on, did some poking around and looked like the computer had been dropped. The ram had disconnected, fixed that Starting cleaning up the thing (history, viruses, malware all that fun stuff) When I went to reboot it, it seems XP was corrupted. The taskbar had reverted to what windows 2000 task bars looked like. Yet it was below the viewing space. No start button at all up able to drag the task bar to make it larger. Can't open IE. The only I can make the computer function is through Task Manager.

Some areas of Concern I have is...
When I boot the computer it informs me that the Floppy Drive is not found F1 to continue F2 to try again.

After I get past the Floppy seek bios pops up with 3 options...
1) Windows NT 6.X
2) Windows NT 5.x
3)GRUB4DOS (it defaults to this option, when I select 1 or 3 it tries to boot but doesn't.)

Also at one point in the booting process I'm prompted with the text {{{{ " Urr! wee..."}}}} <<<<< Just like that. I've never heard of that.

Thanks for taking the time to read this post. Any help is greatly appreciated,
Brad

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 USN Vet

USN Vet

• Members
  • 190 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2011 - 02:06 AM

Do you really need to multi boot on this system (Grub4dos) ?
Feel free to ignore my comment, just another user !

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,138 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2011 - 09:06 AM

Sounds like the GRUB bootloader is askew...this is not a Dell problem :), it appears to be a possible situation created by attempting to dual-boot Ubuntu on a Dell.

Possibly worth reading, http://agnipulse.com/2010/08/dell-inspiron-ubuntu-woes/ .

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users