Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fatal Error

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 wicky

wicky

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 PM

Posted 10 August 2011 - 05:34 PM

My granddaughter gave me her computer, which runs Windows 98. I need to move her files to a flash drive, but I keep getting fatal errors and another kind of error. What I need to know is if there is a way to get Windows to open and run long enough for me to grab those files so I can put a different OS on it? Here are the screen shots of the errors:

Fatal Error 1

Fatal Error 2

Another error

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Drovers Dog

Drovers Dog

• Members
  • 1,048 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 AM

Posted 10 August 2011 - 07:49 PM

You could try setting the HDD as a Slave in another Computer to get access to the Files without needing to boot into WIN 98.

You can also set it up temporally using your cables from your CDROM/DVD Drives, either way you can then access it and get the data from it.

Ray.
What ever you give to others, you will get back doubled, Just make sure you only give Nice Things?......DD saying

There is a saying, "You just can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear" it means "to be happy with what you have and not look for the impossible"......DD saying

The "Spirit" of the people who died, on that terrible day 9/11 will NEVER REST until such time as the "Imbeciles" that caused it, are eliminated through out the World.....DD saying

What is a Dog?

#3 wicky

wicky
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2011 - 08:17 PM

Okay, does anyone know where I can find the instructions on how to do either one of those two things?

#4 Drovers Dog

Drovers Dog

• Members
  • 1,048 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2011 - 12:30 AM

Firstly to Slave a HDD, there is an excellent Tutorial here.

http://www.dtidata.com/resourcecenter/2007/04/23/how-to-slave-hard-drive/

Second way, possibly much simplier, if you are inexperienced? Just remove the HDD from the Computer as instructed above and don't change the Jumper settings. Open up the other Computer and fit the HDD as above but instead use the Cables from your CDROM/DVD, usually at the top of the Box, to connect it into the system. It will then show up as a Secondary Main Drive under Windows Explorer.

Either way it will allow you access to copy what Data you need, you can just save that onto the other Computer's HDD for future reference or put it onto a USB Stick.

Unfortunately WIN98 does not support many USB Products, so this work around should do the trick for you.

Ray.

Edited by Drovers Dog, 11 August 2011 - 06:54 AM.

What ever you give to others, you will get back doubled, Just make sure you only give Nice Things?......DD saying

There is a saying, "You just can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear" it means "to be happy with what you have and not look for the impossible"......DD saying

The "Spirit" of the people who died, on that terrible day 9/11 will NEVER REST until such time as the "Imbeciles" that caused it, are eliminated through out the World.....DD saying

What is a Dog?

#5 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 956 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:17 PM

Posted 11 August 2011 - 06:36 AM

Win98 needs drivers to operate a flash drive I'm assuming you have found the correct ones for that flash drive, search the manufactures site for these?

There are universal drivers but I've never got these to work Windows 98SE USB Mass Storage Device Drivers. All mine are Kingston and PQI which you can download drivers of their site.

As DD says you can slave the HDD to another computer.

Keith

Windows ME (spare computer)
Windows XP 2002 Professional SP3 (desktop computer)
Windows 7 Professional SP1 32bit (laptop computer)

Windows 8 64bit spare drive for laptop computer

#6 Drovers Dog

Drovers Dog

• Members
  • 1,048 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2011 - 07:14 AM

BTW? when setting up cables from an IDE Drive, no mater if HDD or CDROM/DVD always remember that the coloured part of the wide IDE Cable is to be inserted with it on the left handside from looking down from the top with it aligned to the left. The power cable is inserted with the Red wire facing towards it from the right hand side. They simply face towards each other

Ray.

Edited by Drovers Dog, 11 August 2011 - 07:21 AM.

What is a Dog?

#7 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,540 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 PM

Posted 11 August 2011 - 12:19 PM

From the error I think that 98 definitely would need to be reinstalled.
(Or another OS of your choice)

What DD suggests is the easiest and quickest way to do it.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#8 lti

lti

• Members
  • 581 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 PM

Posted 11 August 2011 - 03:38 PM

There are universal drivers but I've never got these to work Windows 98SE USB Mass Storage Device Drivers. All mine are Kingston and PQI which you can download drivers of their site.

I am using similar drivers on my two computers running Windows 98. They work fine with my Sandisk flash drive that had no manufacturer-supplied drivers available.

PNY offers their own drivers as well. Their drivers work in 98 Gold as well, even though their site says they only work with 98SE.

#9 Drovers Dog

Drovers Dog

• Members
  • 1,048 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2011 - 06:47 AM

I am just hopeful that our Friend found the answer to the Problem.

Ray,

What is a Dog?

#10 wicky

wicky
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2011 - 03:16 PM

I found an answer, yes. I wrote to my granddaughter and sent her the link to this forum, and got told to forget the files, just reformat and install a new OS. So, now I just have to find the information on how to re-format. I knew how once, but that was several years ago with a lot of intervening events to distract me. So, if anyone can direct me to a good guide on reformatting one's hard drive, it would be appreciated. :)

#11 Drovers Dog

Drovers Dog

• Members
  • 1,048 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2011 - 03:22 AM

It really depends on what you want to install as the new OS?

Maybe if you can give us details of the Machine, we can then tell you if it will work?

We all can help if you just want to reinstall WIN98 on it, but without details of the Machine we could be leading you up the "Garden path", if you want to use an OS different to that? Nobody wants that, ever, to happen here.

Ray.

What is a Dog?

#12 wicky

wicky
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2011 - 04:11 AM

What sort of details are you looking for on the machine? As for OS...Win2k. I like that one, I'm familiar with it...and I don't have to buy a disk. And, I think (not sure, but seem to remember this) that Win2k would install without the reformatting, but I really would prefer to reformat, so as to get rid of Win98 in order be sure the drive is cleaned up.

#13 Drovers Dog

Drovers Dog

• Members
  • 1,048 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2011 - 05:39 AM

Maybe you should read this before you start? WIN2000k is compatible as in FAT32, but also problems can occur when just simply installing over the top, unless the BIOS is drained first.

http://www.webopedia.com/DidYouKnow/hardware_software/2005/harddrive_format.asp

Come back after reading it? BTW? it is OK to use the WIN2000k as long as you have a Serial Nunber and it is not being used on another Computer at present, then it becomes a very grey area here.

BTW what is the size of the HDD? It will be on the top of it.

Ray.

Edited by Drovers Dog, 14 August 2011 - 05:46 AM.

What is a Dog?

#14 Drovers Dog

Drovers Dog

• Members
  • 1,048 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2011 - 04:18 AM

Did that Help?

More if not, Mate.

Ray.

What is a Dog?

#15 wicky

wicky
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2011 - 04:38 AM

BTW what is the size of the HDD? It will be on the top of it.

Ray.

Will have to re-read it...things have been kind of hectic here. And, on the top of what?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users