Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DESKTOP REBOOTS WHEN USB CABLE PLUGGED INTO IT

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 SuesAcct

SuesAcct

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 AM

Posted 10 August 2011 - 05:32 PM

Hi everyone,
I have WINXP Home Ed.

My Pc is a Gateway, about 7 years old.

Basically, whenever I try and plug a usb cable into any one of the front of one in the back empty USB ports, it automatically starts to reboot the PC and it goes to the "safe mode" screen and asks me what I want to do.

I thought maybe there was a problem with the drivers, so I uninstalled ALL of them, even the Mouse/video camera/and keyboard and restarted my PC. The drivers all loaded back up and I still have the problem. The crazy part is when I plug just the cable in, without any device on the other end, its fine, but the moment I connect a device to it and turn it on, it happens. I've tried it by plugging the device into the cable and THEN plugging it all into the USB port but it still happens. The mouse etc all work just fine in their ports, but nothing else works. My only thoughts were either theres a short on the mother board, or is it possible that somethings wrong in the BIOS? I'm not that computer savvy but thats all I came up with.
Thanks for your help/suggestions.

Cheers,
Sue

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,541 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2011 - 05:40 PM

Hi :).

What model Gateway?

What USB devices are we talking about?

Louis

#3 SuesAcct

SuesAcct
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2011 - 06:13 PM

Hi Louis!

I think the Gateway is Model 500s
and I dont know what USB devices you mean? They are the ports in the front of the PC and also in the back. I'm not to computer sharp, but if you guide me, I will tell you what you need to know.
Thanks!!
Sue

Edited by hamluis, 10 August 2011 - 07:15 PM.
Deletted unnecessary quote.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,541 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2011 - 07:14 PM

No problem :).

What devices are you trying to connect to the system...via the USB connections? Examples...printer, external drive, etc.

Louis

#5 SuesAcct

SuesAcct
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2011 - 07:22 PM

Great Thank you!!

I have tried putting in my Camera and also my MP3 player. The moment I put the usb cord in, its okay, but when I connect the devices, it reboots the system and if it stays plugged in, it will boot up to the safe mode window, unless I unplug the cord.

Edited by hamluis, 10 August 2011 - 08:00 PM.
Removed unnecessary quote.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,541 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2011 - 07:59 PM

Just a note...the Add Reply button is the one that should be used to respond normally to the previous post.

The Quote button is intended (I think) to be used only when there is no logical pattern to see...what a poster may be responding to. Since there are only two of us in this post :), no need to Quote.

Neither a camera nor an .mp3 player...should produce a BSOD, reboot loop, or anything extraordinary when attached.

That's a system that appears to be 10 years old...I would not be surprised if various onboard functions malperform at this date.

What I would do...is install a USB 2.0 card in one of the PCI slots and use that.

I cannot determine if those USB slots are 1.0 or 2.0...even if they were 1.0, the system should not reboot if a 2.0 device were plugged in.

Louis

#7 SuesAcct

SuesAcct
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2011 - 08:14 PM

Okay, sorry about hitting the wrong quote button, I dont usually post here.

So, you're suggesting that I purchase another USB card and put it in that slot? Is it possible that theres a short on the board that they're plugged into? The USB slots in the BACK of the PC also do the same thing. So, basically, what I'm saying is that all empty USB slots are doing it. Would buying another USB card solve that problem for ALL empty ports, whether in the front or the back??

Thanks again

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,541 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2011 - 09:49 PM

<<Is it possible that theres a short on the board that they're plugged into?>>

IMO...anything is possible with a board that's 10 years old. I try not to look for complicated answers. If my onboard video goes out, I install a video card. If my onboard USB doesn't work properly...I install a USB 2.0 PCI card.

The only motherboard short I've ever personally experienced...was one I accidentally induced via my stupidity...I learned my lesson :). Nothing on that board would work.

Onboard USB ports and onboard NICs...have been known to just die and leave the remaining functions intact. Since such PCI items are relatively cheap and readily available...they answer the needs of many users.

It's hard for me to tell you what you should do...it's easy to tell you what I would do :).

One basic thing that you ought to try.

Start/Run...type devmgmt.msc and hit Enter. Scroll down to Univversal Serial Bus Controllers. Double-click to see the detail. Uninstall...any of the detail items which has the word "controller" in it...right-click on that items and select the Uninstall option. Reboot the system. The drivers for USB will automatically reinstall at boot.

Try a device requiring a USB connection.

Louis

#9 SuesAcct

SuesAcct
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2011 - 09:57 PM

actually, I did that the other day. I uninstalled all drivers for all USB ports, rebooted it and it reinstalled drivers, and it still did the same thing. So, I will take your smart advise and just invest in USB port hardware. They're not expensive and it will be worth it instead of wondering what the problem could be.....cause its probably what you said, its OLD. LOL I bought the PC brand new 8 years ago, so its time for a new one. Maybe I'll just check out my local computer store and see what they have to offer

Enjoy your evening and thank you again for taking the time to help me.

Cheers,
Sue

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,541 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2011 - 10:04 PM

I never buy computer parts, other than monitors, from local retailers. The prices and availability is much better online.

Example

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users