Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer keeps disconnecting from network connection

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 arjay

arjay

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 PM

Posted 10 August 2011 - 03:29 PM

Hi, I have an older computer. A couple of days ago we had a severe electrical storm that knocked down
several transformers in our city. The result was that the servers were down for a couple of days. When
things were back up and running again, it became a matter of having to re-enter a "key" number in order to
connect back to the server. I went through the steps and entered the key and everything was fine until I shut
my computer down and then, a hour or so later, restarted it. I couldn't connect to Internet Explorer. When I
checked the network connections, it was un-connected until I, again, went through the steps to re-enter the
"key" number and then everything was working fine. I have a wireless connection.

I checked with the provider who said it could be a couple
of problems, one is that, my computer has a battery and when it gets weak it won't remember things like key
numbers and so it has to be re-entered over and over again each time I want to use my computer. Another problem, they said, could be that my computer could have its own program to connect to the server and, for some reason, it's interfering with Windows XP trying to connect and it's shutting the Windows connection down.

I was wondering if there was anything that could be done to correct this or maybe there's something else that is going on and it can be corrected. I'm not very computer savy. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,540 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 PM

Posted 10 August 2011 - 03:53 PM

Hello and welcome to the forum!

I sure would love to know what type of battery they are referring to that wont remember passwords when they get weak.
That is utter nonsense!

We had an electrical storm here the other day too that was pretty fierce. I have since replaced two network cards for people because of it. These were cabled systems though and you are using wireless.

What is the make/model of your system and do you have a router?
If you directly cable the system into your modem does it work correctly?
In the beginning there was the command line.

#3 arjay

arjay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 PM

Posted 10 August 2011 - 04:53 PM

Thank you for your reply, Eyesee. I have two computers, one in each room. One is connected to the modem and, after entering the "key" number, everything's working fine. The other computer is on a wireless connection and it's the one that I have to keep re-entering the key number for.

I think the whole thing came as a unit, the monitor,hard drive, keyboard, and the only reference to a "make" is Studioworks 700S on the monitor. There's no model number or any other info as to the make. I think it's probably pretty old. I don't have a router and I really don't know how to cable the system into my modem for that computer because that computer is "wireless" and the modem is in another room 200 feet away from it but if you can explain how it is done I will try.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users