Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I can't get my command prompt out of drive X. :(

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 bexwest

bexwest

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 AM

Posted 10 August 2011 - 03:22 PM

My computer (Toshiba Satellite running Windows 7 Home Premium) acquired some sort of terrible virus and shut itself down. When I try to turn it on, it goes into startup repair, and startup repair always fails. I have tried every single system restore point, and that fails too. When I try to start it in any of the safe modes, it simply goes back to startup repair and fails again.

My friend tried to help me earlier this week, but he is out of town now, so I'm on my own. He was able to access C: in command prompt. All my files are in their original locations and haven't been corrupted, but there are also four folders with names like xisdfl83lkd02 (seriously) which definitely weren't there before and presumably contain whatever has crippled my precious laptop. Whenever he tried to delete those folders, the command prompt looked like it had accepted the delete command, but then when he went back into C they were still there. So the bad files are immortal or something.

He said he was able to move things around, so I should get an external hard drive to back up my files, wipe the computer back to factory settings, then put my files back on it from the external hard drive.

Well, now I have an external hard drive but don't have him around to do this.

I have absolutely no experience with command prompt, and I've read a bunch of tutorials on how to use it, but they aren't dumbed down enough for me to understand them. I need someone to walk me through it.

I can access the command prompt, but it goes into X:\sources\recovery\Tools> as a starting line. The thing at the top says Administrator: X:\windows\system32\cmd.exe.

I didn't even know X was a real drive. I try to get it to C and it just goes back to X. When I type cd E:\ or cd F:\ trying to figure out where my external hard drive is, E says "The device is not ready" and F takes me right back to X:\sources\recovery\Tools>.

How do I get to the directory where I can find my files and move them to the hard drive? What am I doing wrong?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 AM

Posted 10 August 2011 - 03:53 PM

The easiest way I know to migrate files/folders to an external drive is to boot from live media. Mount the drive that is in question and copy at will.

I have used Linux distros and other live media with great success in the past.

I will suggest Linux Puppy as it is a small but complete OS. Download the .ISO, burn the image to CD, and boot from the media. When you reach the Puppy desktop, you should see mountable drives in the bottom left corner. Pick one (or more) and browse about. Easy Peasy....

#3 jokeezy

jokeezy

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 AM

Posted 17 March 2013 - 04:03 PM

Man I'm havin the exact same problem, I'm just tryin to find one start up manager and or a task manager COMMAND CODE that would be great, it been hour. Please help...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users