Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wierd Problem?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Sting32

Sting32

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 PM

Posted 10 August 2011 - 02:09 PM

Background Info:this is on my parents computer, they are age 75. They can be tricked into clicking on wrong things, but most cases they call me 1st.

Last night they shut the PC of because it looked like storms.

Today turn on, everything is gone!
I assume and had seen the results from a nasty, that simply changed everything to read only.

however, This is NOT the case. Something has modified several folders with an atribute in the folder's security settings, to "DENY" for "ALL USERS" so you cannot open the folders. I made the mistake of assuming I can fix this, and tried to take ownership and remove that setting from folders that now had that setting on it.

I could do a few, but too many I cant do anything with.

ANyone seen this issue before? what am I up against? 2 things I hate, we lost all the "favorites" they use daily, and emails. Rest can be fixed with a format and reinstall of system. But would like to recover some files/folder 1st, that have the DENY attribute set. Any help would be appreciated.

I thought when I 1st setup the PC I enabled the "adminstrator" account, but I did NOT. and I cannot get it enabled.

Try to right click an maage gives error: Windows cant find c:\programdata\microsoft\windows\startmenu\programs\administrative tools\computer management.lnk

I try to open that folder, it is empty.

Explorer or anything dies with :error server execution failed

Not sure what to do next. I have MBAM on here, it doesnt find anything, my though is if I can explore some folders, mbam probably can't either.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sting32

Sting32
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2011 - 02:29 PM

Would like to add a few things that are going on in win7, when logged on as my parents user.

you cant open anything, everything pops up the error "server execution fialed"

however 2 apps seem to run, one was weather channel desktop, it launched and runs at startup,
as well as Incredimail.

start menu everything is gone no matter what user

I have a user that allows me to explore, that is how I can see the security tab on some folders have the setting DENY "all users" which cannot be opened.

I dont know much about win7, XP I am fairly talented on fixing, by searching this site for answers. Maybe these folders always have this attribute? I dont have another machine to look at.

thanks in advance.

#3 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2011 - 02:38 PM

Hi, Sting23.

It may be possible to copy files/folders using a live CD/DVD or other media. Try booting Puppy Linux live media and mounting Windows drive. Then copy what you will to an external source such as a USB hard drive or flash drive.

Puppy Linux

Edited by bludgard, 10 August 2011 - 02:38 PM.

#4 Sting32

Sting32
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2011 - 09:56 AM

Has anyone seen or heard of this "bug" that deleted and created user accounts in win7? Parents lost EVERYTHING, I mean everything. a couple services would start when the computer starts up, but noting else would, all start-menu items were blank, all apps seemed to be in "program files" folders, but none would start, "server execution failed"

Vipre Anti Virus found nothing. the computer was new and they had only had it for about 5 months or less, luckily I have thier old computer I had not destroyed yet, so we can get some back, but there is a lot of crap that was "new" that was lost. I looked everywhere, even for that hidden folder trick, never could find anything.

computer has been shipped back to MFG, because it did have one of those I5 motherboards with a bad sata 3 controller chip, we were not using either of those controllers though, until I tried to copy anything I could salvage, to another sata drive...

pretty bad.

Edited by Sting32, 16 August 2011 - 09:57 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users