Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Using 2 XP HD's in 1 desktop

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Uncle Paul

Uncle Paul

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 PM

Posted 10 August 2011 - 01:09 PM

Hello,
I hope this is the right forum for this question. CatByte is helping me with some malware issues on one of my computers in another thread. As part of the work we were doing I needed to Uninstall the SP3 and then download & install a fresh SP3 again. That drive still works & boots up into plain old XP now, but won't connect to the internet. Unfortunately that computer's motherboard also broke so I had to add that contaminated drive (Drive F) to this computer to work with it. So I am going to download the SP3 to this drive (Drive C), and then install it to Drive F. I have Drive F installed as a Slave Drive & Drive C is still the Master Drive.

The help I need now, is how to go about that process correctly. Once I have the SP3 downloaded to Drive C, how do I then get it to Install on Drive F? When I click on My Computer I can see Drive F is there. Do I simply Copy & Paste the file to Drive F & then boot Drive F, and then Install it? If so, how do I get the computer to boot the Drive F, to then let it Install the SP3? Or is there a different way I should go about getting it installed? Thank you for any help with this.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,279 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2011 - 02:34 PM

<<So I am going to download the SP3 to this drive (Drive C), and then install it to Drive F.>>

Hmmm...I don't think that you can do it, if you are referring to installing something on an O/S that you cannot boot into.

SP3 and every other update pertaining to the O/S...needs to install into the O/S booted into.

Ditto for programs...if you are not booted into that O/S, those programs cannot install.

This is because of the dynamic nature of installing files...registry settings and files are modified when installing anything. The only way that a registry from a different system can be modified on another system...involves a process which still would not yield what you desire, since the program files will not install into a non-active O/S.

When you added the drive to another system...it became mothing but a storage container. You can access the files on it, but you cannot install anything or change the registry (with the exception I noted).

Windows must be in an active state...in order to install anything on it. "Active" in this instance means "booted into".

FWIW: I don't know if there is a need to uninstall SP3, unless it reflects some sort of problem. I have reinstalled SP3 several times...on systems reflecting SP3...and never noticed a bubble of any sort. In fact, this is one way to overcome certain problems with XP, IME.

...how do I get the computer to boot the Drive F, to then let it Install the SP3?>>

The only way to get drive F: to boot...on a different system...also involves particular problems. Hard drives cannot just be switched from one system to another...and be expected to boot and perform properly. See Changing a Motherboard or Moving Hard Drive - http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/moving_xp.html .

It can be done successfully...on occasion...but it's laborious because of the fact that drivers and settings for a different motherboard/system...are reflected on the hard drive. Bottom line...it's not guaranteed success between two different systems.

I don't know everything and I certainly haven't tried everything with XP...let's wait to see what others think.

Louis

#3 Uncle Paul

Uncle Paul
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2011 - 12:00 AM

Thank you for your reply! I half expected this to be the answer & this info was basically what I thought I understood. But I asked just in case there was an easy way to choose to boot from either drive.

That link was very helpful... for next time lol. I did none of that & got very lucky in the game of Russian Roulette :)

So now that I have this new information, my next questions are: how to use this new storage container I have created? Can I copy & paste the SP3 file once I have it from the Drive C to Drive F? Then I can change that drive to a master drive in this computer or the one it was in before if I can fix that to do the install. Or is there a different way I have to get that file onto that drive?

While it is the slave drive right now, can I copy or move any of the files on it to the master drive, & how do I do that? Is it simply search for the files using My Computer, then Copy\Paste them to the master drive? Thanks for any help with these questions, as I have never used 2 drives like this before & don't want to mess things up. Now that I think of it, I am guessing that I can simply use that internal slave drive just like I do my external drive, correct (wish I had thought of that before typing the other questions)?

I will also pass on the FWIW information in case that helps in other similar situations for the future.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,279 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2011 - 08:43 AM

<<...how to use this new storage container I have created?>>

A partition/drive...without an O/S installed or with an O/S installed that is not booted into...is just another partition/drive, a storage container. Files can be moved to it and from it normally...with the possible exception of system files (which can be copied from one to the other).

SP3 is just another file...until it is installed into Windows XP. I keep a copy of SP3 along with a copy of every program that I use...on a separate partition/drive...for future use.

Yes, it doesn't matter if a non-boot drive...is external or internal. The differences that I note are...an internal drive is faster than any external drive when it comes to transferring files...because the USB bus/connection is slower than if the drive is directly connected to the motherboard.

Louis

#5 Uncle Paul

Uncle Paul
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2011 - 11:56 AM

Thank you so much for all of the clear & concise information. As you suggest I will definitely keep a copy of the SP3 in case I need one again.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,279 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2011 - 12:24 PM

No problem, we try to help :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users