Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Rapid clicking noise

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Uzag

Uzag

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 PM

Posted 10 August 2011 - 12:49 PM

I posted about this issue awhile back and got recommended to get a new hard drive. I did but today I experienced the same sound.

My new hard drive is of the same brand as the previous, a Western Digital, but it is of another series. I have read that these HDís sometimes breaks down after just some week, still it seems unlikely to me that this new one would make an identical noise. I guess itís not impossible thought... I only run one HD, the previous one was a WD 75GB Raptor, the newer a WD 150GB VelociRaptor.

What happens is that I occasionally get this quite loud and rapid ticking noise some second after the power is turned on. The noise will keep going for about 4 seconds, maybe making 7 clicks in total, while the computer appears to load as usual. However, usually the motherboard makes an ďOK-beepĒ at the start up and, if this clicking happens, this beep will sometimes be delayed until after Windows has loaded.
The noise itself is always the same and either ďon or offĒ; there are no gradations in volume, intensity, when it happens or such. Possibly thereís a sliiight variation for how long the sound will go on. It kind of sounds likes a fan hitting loose cord plug, or a computer card getting tapped on with a pencil. Changing hard drive made no difference, the sound is just the same.

This all happens very rarely, but it seems to happen more likely if Iíve been working inside the computer. Itís a Ďnewí noise, Iíve had the computer for about two years and itís not until the last months Iíve experienced this. The noise itself isnít very annoying, but it does worry me and makes me I wonder if thereís something going on that I need to get fixed.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 AM

Posted 10 August 2011 - 05:23 PM

Have you tried running the manufacturers diagnostic tool to check if the hard drive is bad?

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#3 Uzag

Uzag
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2011 - 04:58 PM

Hi!
Both of the hard drives passed their diagnostic tests without any errors.

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,611 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 AM

Posted 11 August 2011 - 05:03 PM

Take off the cover and boot while listening closely to the inside of the box. Try to identify the source of the sound.

#5 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 AM

Posted 11 August 2011 - 05:12 PM

That sound could be a cable hitting a fan.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#6 Uzag

Uzag
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2011 - 12:04 PM

The sound is very hard to catch as it's so random, but I've gotten the impression that it comes from the lower front. I got the hard drive, a fan and some... chassis electronics in this section. It's a Gigabyte Poseidon chassis, this is what goes on at the front + a logo LED-lamp.

I figured about it and after releasing the frontal "power on" button, there is a slight click coming from this section. This click seems to be connected to the reset button area to the left and the LED-lamp that flickers as the computer is loading. The sound also seem to not be caused by the button mechanics but rather something behind it, which makes me think of some electronic connection. Could it possibly be this click that goes out of control? Is this known to indicate some sort of issues?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users