Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What kind of wireless router do I need to get wireless internet?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 hiprocka

hiprocka

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 AM

Posted 10 August 2011 - 12:05 PM

Hello:

I have a desktop and I would like to be able to get wireless for my laptop. I have Comcast internet-only service. Basically, I have a cable mdem (Motorola Docsis 3.0) and a standard set-up. That is, I run a coax cabale from the wall jack to the modem, and a CAT (i.e. broadband) cable from the modem to the computer. What kind of "wireless router" do I need to get wireless internet for this configuration? I want something that works well but price is an object.

Also, how do I set the router up? It seems that you would run a CAT cable from the modem ot the router, and a CAT cable from the router to the computer.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Blaze413

Blaze413

• Members
  • 330 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 AM

Posted 10 August 2011 - 10:40 PM

It really is that easy to set up...and
I'm pretty sure they come with instructions but how much do u want to spend? Because modems are priced all over the place just remember u get what u pay for but seriously they go from like $25-200+ so what's ure price range?

#3 jburd1800

jburd1800

• Members
  • 565 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2011 - 10:46 PM

I went with a Cisco Valet plus. It has been plug and play since day 1...

“May the sun bring you new energy by day, may the moon softly restore you by night, may the rain wash away your worries, may the breeze blow new strength into your being, may you walk gently thorugh the world and know it's beauty all the days of your life.”

#4 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2011 - 01:03 PM

Cisco (Linksys) makes a good solid wireless router.
Simple to set up and their support is good.

You should be able to get one in about the 50 to 75 dollar range.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#5 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2011 - 05:20 PM

How good of a router you need depends on several factors.

Example what wireless is in the laptop, B, G, or N.
How fast is your internet speed?

You probably want wieless N and gigabit ports to future proof it.

I had to upgrade when I went from the 30Mb internet to the 101Mb internet. A cheap router may limit your speed depending on what you have.

BE sure to secure the router, Change the user name and password, encrypt the wireless.

FWIW I turned off wireless in my house and I even run a wire to the laptop. More secure that way. People have had the police come knocking in their door due to neighbors activities. I tend to be extra careful where I can.

Edited by rotor123, 11 August 2011 - 05:21 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#6 hiprocka

hiprocka
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2011 - 08:09 PM

How good of a router you need depends on several factors.

Example what wireless is in the laptop, B, G, or N.
How fast is your internet speed?

You probably want wieless N and gigabit ports to future proof it.

I had to upgrade when I went from the 30Mb internet to the 101Mb internet. A cheap router may limit your speed depending on what you have.

BE sure to secure the router, Change the user name and password, encrypt the wireless.

FWIW I turned off wireless in my house and I even run a wire to the laptop. More secure that way. People have had the police come knocking in their door due to neighbors activities. I tend to be extra careful where I can.

I have a Dell Inspiron N4010. It has 802.11N I believe. My internet speed is 25-30 Mb. So what do I need? I am not looking to spend a lot of money, and would prefer to come in well under fifty dollars. It is not worth it. I like wireless because it is annoying to have CAT cables lying all over the place.

#7 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2011 - 09:22 AM

with that internet speed any Wireless N router should work. What you get with more expensive routers is the ability to have more control.

Such as set up a separate wireless zone for guests to use that keeps them from using the rest of your network for example. If only you a basic wireless would work as long as you turn on encryption, change the default username and password.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#8 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2011 - 01:06 PM

Try ckecking out Tiger Direct
The Cisco - Linksys E1000 is a good solid router for 70 bucks.
Others are cheaper but you get what you pay for.

You might be able to find the same router locally at Walmart or someplace to save on shipping.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#9 Blaze413

Blaze413

• Members
  • 330 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2011 - 10:10 PM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833162033

Here is one that will work and has free shipping

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users