Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Half of Monitor screen has lines\distortion

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Uncle Paul

Uncle Paul

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 PM

Posted 10 August 2011 - 09:39 AM

Hi Everyone,
A friend gave me a Dell computer with XP SP3 because he gave up on trying to resolve this issue. The right half of the screen is distorted with a pattern of pinkish horizontal lines. The intensity of this probl;em seems to be different each time I boot up. Some times I can use it, sometimes I'll have to restart so that it is not covering most of the stuff on the right side to the point I can't see it. It will get darker & the pattern will get thicker as time goes on using the computer. If I drag something from that side toward the left, it will bring the distortion with that window, and the patterns seem to copy over each other to make them get darker as I use the puter. Eventually I have to give up & start over instead of guessing where to click the mouse on that side, or guess what is written there. Several cables & monitors & a different hard drive have been tried with the same result, so my guess is I need to buy a new video card & try that. The only problem is, I believe the previous owner also tried a different video card, so that's why I am checking in here first for other possibilities. Due to a failure of my main computer I need to start using this one, so I figure I'd ask for help in trying to fix this. I have a .jpg screen shot of this but I don't know how to load it into the post. Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 -KFS

-KFS

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 AM

Posted 11 August 2011 - 06:33 PM

The easiest and cheapest way to get an answer, is to use the process of elimination method. Test the PC with a known working monitor, and if the problem remians with the known working monitor, then try a known working video card. Hopefully it stops there.

If a known working monitor does the trick, then you have a better idea that it just may be the monitor.

hope this helps!

#3 Uncle Paul

Uncle Paul
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 PM

Posted 13 August 2011 - 10:14 AM

We already know its not the monitor, and I'm +90% sure its not the video card based on memory of my friend telling me he also tried a different working one. I don't have another video card to test that myself. My other desktops that are lying around all have a monitor connection that is directly connected to the Mother Board instead of a seperate video card. That connection is missing from this computer, so I can't simply switch to using that. This video card is attached to a different looking slot than the usual PCI slot that I am used to seeing (newer computer compared to my other ones, so I would presume better stuff in there). Assuming there may be a problem with the connection of that video slot to the Mother Board (the previous owners guess as to what might be wrong), do they make a video card that works in a regular PCI slot so I can try that work around? I am guessing that I would not be able to replace that video slot on the Mother Board. Thank you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users