Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need help cleaning up computer

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jalpert

jalpert

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 PM

Posted 10 August 2011 - 06:54 AM

This is a laptop used by a local non-profit organization. The only software that really needs to be on it is QuickBooks and Microsoft Office. It is painfully slow and seems to freeze up often so I tried to uninstall some of the software that I thought was useless (Bing, Google Desktop and Google bar) and the computer wouldn't boot up so I had to go through the repair process to recover. Now I'm afraid to do anything because of that and I don't want to destroy any of the data on the computer.

The previous user said it had never been connected to the internet so there have been no updates since 2008. It has McAfee Security Center installed but it is out of date and the license has expired. There just seems to be a lot of unless software on this computer but this may have been part of the original configuration.

Computer is a Toshiba, Model Satellite A200, Windows Vista Ultimate, 32-bit, 1014 MB Ram, Dual CPU 1.75 GHz.

Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Jo Ann

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,866 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 PM

Posted 10 August 2011 - 10:03 AM

I would just clone the hard drive...saves all data files...then do a clean install and reinstall the two programs you describe as essential.

"Cleaning up" a system that has not been properly cared for...over an extended period of time...is unlikely to prove fruitful.

FWIW: 1GB of RAM might be a tad too little...Office is a system hog...I would not be surprised if the system is infected (the Internet only happens to be the easiest way to develop infection problems on a system, it's not the only way. I don't know if I would believe someone with Bing on the system...if he/she told me that the system had never been connected to the Internet :).

Louis

#3 jalpert

jalpert
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2011 - 10:40 AM

I agree with your assessment. That is why I was afraid to do any cleanup or updates without some guidance. Unfortunately, there are no install discs.

Thanks for your input.

Jo Ann

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,866 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2011 - 10:59 AM

http://en.kioskea.net/faq/4811-toshiba-laptop-reset-to-factory-settings#method-using-the-recovery-partition

http://www.togaware.com/linux/survivor/Toshiba_Satellite.html

Louis

#5 jalpert

jalpert
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2011 - 11:10 AM

Wow, I had no idea that Toshiba did that. Thanks for the information. It looks like I've got a mission to accomplish now.

Thanks!

Jo Ann

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,866 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2011 - 11:29 AM

Keep us posted :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users