Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trouble installing Windows 7

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 CrazedRaven

CrazedRaven

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 PM

Posted 10 August 2011 - 01:34 AM

Hello everyone,

My mom has just ordered Windows 7 professional on a disc, and I installed it on a Windows XP computer. I have done exactly as I was told, choosing custom installation. However, after the installation is over, it says it must restart, but then after it restarts, the installation process goes back to the beginning. It asks for language preferences and time and currency format, but after I click next, there is still 'install now'

I have tried fixing the problem before; I accidentally installed Windows twice the first time, then I formatted the drive and installed it again, still to no avail. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Also, when it boots up, it prompts to boot from the CD, but if I wait, it will say 'BOOTMGR IS MISSING, PRESS CTRL+ALT+DEL TO RESTART'

Edited by CrazedRaven, 10 August 2011 - 01:36 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 PM

Posted 10 August 2011 - 11:32 AM

Did you do this?

Do a Clean Installation if:
Your computer has no operating system installed, or itís running a version of Windows prior to Windows Vista with Service Pack 1 (including Windows XP).
You do NOT want to preserve your data, programs, or system drivers.
You want to delete your current operating system and replace it with Windows 7.

See tutorial http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/1649-clean-install-windows-7-a.html?ltr=C

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#3 CrazedRaven

CrazedRaven
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 PM

Posted 11 August 2011 - 01:09 AM

Thanks for the reply!

Well, I decided to try the tutorial again; I formatted the partition on which Windows 7 was already installed and installed it on the unallocated space. I am led to believe that what's complicating the situation may be RAID. Unfortunately, I do not have access to a floppy drive, as the RAID drivers on a floppy disk. Is there another way to get the RAID drivers on there?

Also, the problem seems to have changed. Instead of 'bootmgr is missing' it's 'missing operating system.' When I clicked 'repair computer' I performed a start up repair and it seemed to have taken care of the boot manager problem.... only for the missing operating system thing to pop up again!

Oh, and for further information, the motherboard came with a barebones Shuttle case, SN95G5 if I recall correctly.

Edited by CrazedRaven, 11 August 2011 - 01:50 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users