Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP Computer slow and freezes, hard reboot required

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 GoHealthy

GoHealthy

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:11 PM

Posted 10 August 2011 - 12:38 AM

Windows XP Computer, Q9650 3GHx, 2.96 GB Ram, Memmory 4 GB, 1 T drive has never been the same since my mother clicked on a link in her aol email while visiting my office. My PC tools picked up the virus and I got rid of it, but the computer is supper slow.....freezes when I leave on overnight mostly to do maintenance.......sometimes during the day I have to shut off if I try to do very many tasks at the same time.......I have been putting up with this for 3 months.....but it has gotten worse. I've tried the following: Chkdsk - no errors, defragged (Perfect Disk), PC Tools Virus Scan, used PC Tools Registry Mechanic - but it kept screwing up my Netextender VPN logins, so I uninstalled Registry Mechanic and purchased Uniblue Power Suite - Registry Booster, SpeedupMyPC, Driver Scanner. I have been updating windows...and my drivers are up to date. The computer is running faster (not normal) but still needing to hard reboot from freezes......mainly because I have searchindexer off. I do regular scans with PC Tools. Before Uniblue, I kept having a lot more processes running. I have searched the internet for each item in my startup, and started searching all the running processes.......and found I might be infected with something through the svchost.exe and also BDTUpdateService.exe Short of switching all the software I use for business onto my new Windows 7 Computer........I started trying to resolve this computers problems and found hope by reading some of your posts on this website. I look forward to instructions.......what do I do next? Thanks,

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 weatherman13

weatherman13

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2011 - 09:23 AM

Hello and Welcome to Bleeping Computer,
Please follow the steps here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic44694.html . If the issue presists or if you have any problems please respond back here.

Thanks

#3 GoHealthy

GoHealthy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2011 - 12:19 PM

Thank you......I didn't have my notification set correctly and just found your reply.....I will follow the instructions. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users