Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

8gb installed 4 useable

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Zero_Wolf

Zero_Wolf

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 PM

Posted 09 August 2011 - 06:01 PM

Hello!

I'm not exactly sure what is going on with my memory, I have 4x2 gb of ram installed and when I check the properties of my computer it tells
me ** 8.00 GB (4.00 GB usable)** Also under my resource monitor it tells me 4101 MB are "Hardware Reserved".

I am running Windows 7 64 bit OS

Any help is very much appreciated! Thank you for your time!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MarkGS

MarkGS

• Members
  • 245 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:52 PM

Posted 09 August 2011 - 06:09 PM

What's the model of your computer? Also, what version of Windows 7 are you running?

#3 Zero_Wolf

Zero_Wolf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2011 - 06:14 PM

I am using Windows 7 Home Premium, and there isn't an exact model, I built it, if there is a specific part you would like to know
I would be more than glad to get it for you.

Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium
8 GB Mushkin Enhanced
Gigabyte P55-UD3L
700 Watt Xion Power Supply
I7 860@2.93
Gtx 560 Ti

#4 MarkGS

MarkGS

• Members
  • 245 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:52 PM

Posted 09 August 2011 - 09:14 PM

Do you have the latest BIOS update for your motherboard installed? Are all the sticks of RAM the same frequency (i.e PC3-8500).

#5 Zero_Wolf

Zero_Wolf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2011 - 09:23 PM

I have the latest bios and before I had 8gb I had 4 and it said almost the same thing , just split in half.. 4gb installed 2gb usable. The ram is the same voltage, size and cas latency, they are different Mhz though, 2 sticks are 1333 mhz and 2 sticks are 1600 mhz. I do understand that of course my system with downgrade the 1600 mhz sticks to 1333.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,883 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2011 - 12:48 PM

You sure that Win 7 64-bit is intalled?

The report is as if 32-bit is the O/S.

I have 8GB in this system and my XP reflects similar numbers, while Win 7 reflects much all 8GB, with 7.5GB useable.

Windows will normally allocate a small portion of RAM for various system functions, including onboard RAM.

Board specs don't indicate a need for a BIOS update to recognize 8GB of RAM, http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3501#sp.

There's something amiss...even with 4GB installed, you should have had at least the same amount available as one would have with 32-bit XP...somewhere near 3.0 to 3.25, based on my experiences.

You might check the supported RAM list.

Louis

#7 Zero_Wolf

Zero_Wolf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2011 - 03:32 PM

I am 100% positive windows 7 is installed. I just re seated my sticks in different slots, still says the same thing.

#8 Zero_Wolf

Zero_Wolf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2011 - 05:24 PM

I called gigabyte, the person i spoke to, told me that one of my slots was broken and to send in my motherboard. Just for my knowledge , if one was broken, why would it not say 8 gb installed and 6 usable instead of 4? and why does everything i see say that there is 2GB in each slot?

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,883 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2011 - 08:04 PM

I can't answer your questions...but if Gigabyte is willing to check out/replace the board, I would let it go at that :).

From what I saw your board has 4 slots, each capable of a 4GB module.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 15 August 2011 - 08:55 AM.
Typo.

#10 leppinlenny

leppinlenny

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2011 - 06:51 PM

The problem is the speed as it were ,it will recognize whats installed but your mobo will only use what is first in line .Were they the same speed IE: 1333 or 1600mhz then it would tell you 8 GB useable,it won't use two different mem. sticks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users