Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Flash Video will not run

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 chompularcormingaswa

chompularcormingaswa

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 AM

Posted 09 August 2011 - 03:11 PM

Hello,

I am trying to fix a computer that has a problem.

The computer is an HP Pavilion Slimline s3700y with Windows Vista and Internet Explorer version 9.

The original complaint was that the internet was slow.

The following tasks were done to help resolve the issue:

Kaspersky AV was already installed and running properly, up to date, and had found no issues. Exiting Kaspersky showed little improvement in any operations.
Installed CCleaner and removed temporary files. Also checked and fixed registry issues.
Removed several unneeded old installations: Blinxbox, old Epson printer install, Home Protection remote install, Hp Customer Experience & Demo, Juno, McAfee trial, MP3tube, Rebate software, Shopper Reports, Spore creature creator.
Ran the built-in HP hardware diagnostics: System, Motherboard, Video Card, Audio, Network
Installed and ran Malwarebytes: found 45 infections (Shopping, MP3tube, Websearch)
Ran SuperAntiSpyware and it found 3 items: 3 files and 5 registry items
Ran Spybot: it found 51 items
Checked for Rootkits
Disabled indexing for the restore-drive
Adjusted the display for performance
Installed and ran Secunia to check for outdated software and needed updates: Found Adobe Air, Adobe Flash player, and Microsoft Office 2000 products. I updated Adobe Air, but then the Adobe Flash player updated. I left the MS Office 2000 products alone.
I installed Smart Defrag and then defragged both drives (C and D)
After doing these things and a few associated reboots...
I ran Spybot, SuperAntiSpyware, AntiMalwareBytes again: found nothing
I installed and ran Glary Utilities, Tweaknow Powerpack to see if anything else could be tweaked.
I uninstalled everything that was installed during this process.
I ran CCleaner and Defrag again.

After all that, the system ran much faster. But then two days later, it was running slow on the internet again. Plus, when trying to watch a flash video an error would generate that Flash player needed updated or installed and javascript needed to be enabled.

I uninstalled Adobe Flash Player using the Adobe Uninstall program. Then downloaded the Adobe Flash Player installation program. But when running the Adobe installation program it would timeout after 12-45%. This happened over and over again. Add-ons and toolbars were disabled in Internet Explorer and Kaspersky AV was also exited.

The next day, the Adobe Flash Player was successfully downloaded and installed. It was also enabled. But flash video would still not play in Internet Explorer. I tried playing the same videos on two other computers and was able to play them.

I suppose I could run every Anti-Virus and anti-spyware program that exists but someone suggested Combofix. What do you think?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,384 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 AM

Posted 09 August 2011 - 03:46 PM

Slow Computer-browser Check Here First; It May Not Be Malware - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic87058.html

Louis

#3 chompularcormingaswa

chompularcormingaswa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 AM

Posted 09 August 2011 - 04:37 PM

Posted Today, 12:46 PM
Slow Computer-browser Check Here First; It May Not Be Malware - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic87058.html

Louis

Thank you Louis. I did do most of those things.

I did pull the cover off of the case and blew out the dust (after powering down and disconnecting the power). There was not enough dust to make a difference in performance though. The heatsink on the cpu was hot as is the case when it runs. Poor cooling seems to be common with the slimline designs that I have encountered. The computer seems to run the same whether it is newly powered on or after running for several hours so I ruled out cooling as the culprit. I did check the connections, reseating them as I went. The only add-ons that are enabled are the adobe pdf, kaspersky, an "inbox" email utility, adobe shockwave. All toolbars were disabled/removed.
CCleaner was run and cleaned up tons of stuff on the first run.
Chkdsk was run - no errors
Device Manager was consulted for errors - none found.
The hard drive was defragged (and optimized)
Visual effects were removed to improve performance.
I didn't see anything unusual running in Services
Only about 30% of the RAM was being used at any given time
...not sure what I missed or what else to do...

#4 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,846 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 AM

Posted 09 August 2011 - 07:00 PM

Given everything that you've already done and that you still are experiencing problems and that a significant number of infections were found, my conclusion is that there is either something still lurking or some damage that was done by the infections. In order to find this out, a deeper look at the machine is required.

Please follow the instructions in ==>This Guide<== starting at step 6. If you cannot complete a step, skip it and continue.

Once the proper logs are created, then make a NEW TOPIC and post it ==>HERE<== Please include a description of your computer issues and what you have done to resolve them.

If you can produce at least some of the logs, then please create the new topic and explain what happens when you try to create the log(s) that you couldn't get. If you cannot produce any of the logs, then still post the topic and explain that you followed the Prep. Guide, were unable to create the logs, and describe what happens when you try to create the logs.

Orange Blossom :cherry:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users