Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

removed updates,now problems

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 mike_101

mike_101

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 PM

Posted 09 August 2011 - 02:41 PM

I have windows XP 64bit pro sp3 on my desktop and was encountering problems running spybot and other programs since i added added security updates to my computer. I was told never to update cause of problems that updates cause with other programs, so i didn't, but somehow updates managed to squeeze themselves in. to make a long story short... I removed all the security updates restarted my computer and now there's nothing on my screen. The computer turns on, screen doesn't.

im posting this through a little acer aspire 1 and was wondering if it was possible to access the system restore option from this computer( hook up an Ethernet cable from this computer to the desktop) or if there's a way to update the desktop by the laptop to bring the computer back to the way it was before.

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pcjunkie27

pcjunkie27

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 PM

Posted 09 August 2011 - 07:12 PM

Mike_101,

Updates sometimes do cause complications with programs. What are your computer specs? Is this a laptop or desktop?

Being as there is a black screen after updates were installed is very strange. Usually this can be tied to hardware issue, not a software issue. You should at least be able to load the BIOS.

Post back with your PC Specs and hopefully we can help you!

#3 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 PM

Posted 09 August 2011 - 09:31 PM

Hello Mile and welcome to the forum!
We at BC will be more than happy to assist you!

I have installed all Windows updates hundreds of times and have never encouuntered any issues except when the system in infected with something.

Please post your system specs make/model

What happens if you tap F8 continuiously on startup.
That should bring you to a startup menu.
Use your keyboard to select last known good configuration and press enter.
See if it boots then
In the beginning there was the command line.

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 PM

Posted 11 August 2011 - 11:01 AM

I have windows XP 64bit pro sp3 on my desktop and was encountering problems running spybot and other programs since i added added security updates to my computer. I was told never to update cause of problems that updates cause with other programs, so i didn't, but somehow updates managed to squeeze themselves in. to make a long story short... I removed all the security updates restarted my computer and now there's nothing on my screen. The computer turns on, screen doesn't.

im posting this through a little acer aspire 1 and was wondering if it was possible to access the system restore option from this computer( hook up an Ethernet cable from this computer to the desktop) or if there's a way to update the desktop by the laptop to bring the computer back to the way it was before.

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

First of all, what do you mean you were told not to update? MS Security Updates should ALWAYS be installed. Problems with other programs? Then you can address those issues individually if and when needed - but NOTHING is more important than maintaining proper security on the system. Second, Spybot is old school and can sometimes cause problems for systems (especially the teatimer module). My suggestion is to uninstall Spybot and use MalwareBytes and/or Super AntiSpyware instead.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users