Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Connect remotly to PC

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Kaim1

Kaim1

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 PM

Posted 09 August 2011 - 06:05 AM

Hello

I am trying to connect using remote desktop to my other PC (Win 7 to Win 7, and Win7 to Win server 2008 ).

Both PC have diffrent IP addresses (both behind ADSL router - noting else connected). On both remote desktop is allowed. When i am trying to connect to them from diffrent location I can't.

My Win 7 to which I am trying to connect have local IP and is connected to ADSL router (same as win server 2008). So router has internet IP and gives local IP to PC's.

How I can connect using remote desktop to this PC?

Cheers
Kaim

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Nate15329

Nate15329

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:19 PM

Posted 09 August 2011 - 01:01 PM

You would have to open the remote desktop port (default: 3389) on the router (which most likely has a firewall) for the windows 7 machine. This will allow Remote desktop connections from outside networks.
So when you connect from the outside of the local network, you will connect to windows 7 machine.
Then to connect to the server, you will do the remote connection from that windows 7 machine to the server.

Simple diagram for what I'm saying:
Win7 --> Firewall (Port 3389 Open & Redirected to Win7) --> Win7 --> WinServer2008

#3 Kaim1

Kaim1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 PM

Posted 12 August 2011 - 07:41 AM

Yes, you can do that. But what is best way to connect straight to server?

#4 Nate15329

Nate15329

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:19 PM

Posted 16 August 2011 - 12:10 PM

I prefer the one I first stated, since you're not opening more holes in your firewall and less likely for someone to get into the server.

Here's other options:

The same thing only that the firewall open port will be directed to the server instead.

Win7 --> Firewall (Port 3389 Open & Redirected to WinServer2008) --> WinServer2008 --> Win7

Or

You could change the default port for remote desktop on the server and open that port up on the firewall.

Which can be changed in the registry key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\TerminalServer\WinStations\RDP-tcp\PortNumber

Then for connecting to the computer with the different port add :(portnumber) to the end of ip address or computer name in the rdp client when you're trying to connect.

#5 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 AM

Posted 25 August 2011 - 08:22 AM

Since you have an actual server you could create a VPN on the server. This would require you have either a 1. Static IP from your ISP or 2. a DDNS name setup for the redirection. Your router should be set to support vpn pass through. Then you can connect via VPN from the remote computer and use RDP to connect to any machine on the network directly.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users