Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cant reformat my computer

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 schlosco

schlosco

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:59 PM

Posted 08 August 2011 - 10:27 PM

My computer got some crazy virus on it and now I'm trying to reformat. I bought the student version of windows 7 for $30 tried running it but it seems to be giving me issues. Now my computer is stock where whenever it restarts it either tries to keep loading the windows 7 or load up my old system configuration. The problem is it never seems to finish loading the windows 7 program. It always brings me to a password screen. It has a large box frame where a picture would normally be, and then the two text boxes for a username and password. My typical name and password however doesn't work here. Is there a way that I can find out what this username and password may be, or another way that I can finish reformatting without this and without buying windows 7 again?

If it's necessary to get details about what happened more on why my computer is messed up I posted info on that in this topic,http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic413057.html/page__gopid__2364805#entry2364805

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kevin384

Kevin384

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 AM

Posted 10 August 2011 - 12:30 AM

Hi.
HOW are you trying to reformat your machine?

I suggest that you should try a fresh install of the OS. This will give you the option to reformat the drive, and reload the system from scratch.

Just ensure that the Windows disc is in the rom drive, and that your machine is set to "boot from CD" before starting the OS load.

Good luck
Kevin

#3 derek.ellis

derek.ellis

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:59 PM

Posted 10 August 2011 - 02:10 AM

yes a clean install of the OS sounds like its needed

#4 leppinlenny

leppinlenny

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 PM

Posted 10 August 2011 - 02:11 PM

I'm just a bit curious but if you know you got a virus wouldn't it be more prudent to run your anti-virus program in safe mode rather than reformat the whole drive & lose all your stuff?You do have an anti-virus program do you not?If not then you really need to download one.There are a lot of good free ones out there ,just do a search.I get all my progms from majorgeeks.com.Hope this helps in some small way.

#5 schlosco

schlosco
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2011 - 05:11 PM

i have anti virus and malware and spyware programs...they weren't able to clear it up. I've backed up all my necessary files and am fine with doing a reformat at this point. I paid for and downloaded the student copy of windows 7 from microsoft. It gives me the file to run and is supposedly all i need at least to my understanding. I guess it tells me it's an upgrade, so I don't know if this makes a difference. It also provided me with a .iso file of it which I've burned to a disc but it is not being recognized by my computer after burning it. Or when it does it just takes me to this same username and password screen I mentioned in my first post.

#6 Cornnut

Cornnut

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:59 PM

Posted 10 August 2011 - 08:33 PM

Did you have Windows 7 installed before you bought the upgrade or is this the 1st time using windows 7?

#7 schlosco

schlosco
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2011 - 11:07 PM

actually before i bought the upgrade, but i lost the product key so I just got it again for 30...dont want to have to buy it again.

#8 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2011 - 08:08 AM

...It always brings me to a password screen... My typical name and password however doesn't work here. Is there a way that I can find out what this username and password may be, or another way that I can finish reformatting without this and without buying windows 7 again?

As I do not feel comfortable giving advice on bypassing/disabling passwords, one should be able to search this knowledge by typing *machine > problem* into a search engine for related content.

As far as the Windows product key, it will remain valid throughout the life of the machine, at least. You should have a CoA sticker on the machine somewhere that can be used to activate an install.

By what method did you burn the .ISO image?

Edited by bludgard, 11 August 2011 - 08:10 AM.

#9 schlosco

schlosco
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2011 - 12:58 PM

Well one of my issues with my computer is I can't use any search engine. And I just put a blank dvd in to my computer dragged and dropped the .iso file onto the disc and it had a finalize disc tab at the top I clicked on.

#10 schlosco

schlosco
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2011 - 01:50 PM

maybe i just don't have proper iso burning software. Since I can't use search engines would somebody maybe help point me in the right direction to find some?

#11 leppinlenny

leppinlenny

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2011 - 02:23 PM

I sent you a PM. :busy:

Mod Edit: Please conduct all forum business...all assistance provided...in the forum. This protects the members and optimizes the chances of receiving proper advice which can stand the scrutiny of others ~ Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 12 August 2011 - 11:28 AM.

#12 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2011 - 02:55 PM

In Windows 7, right-click the .ISO file > choose Burn disk image.

Edit: Be sure to tick "Verify after burning".

Edited by bludgard, 11 August 2011 - 03:56 PM.

#13 schlosco

schlosco
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2011 - 03:20 PM

alright, the iso file still didnt work after that. I'm thinking there was a problem with my download maybe.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users