Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Virus? Microsoft Security Essentials wont finish scan

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jcisuzu

jcisuzu

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 PM

Posted 08 August 2011 - 07:54 PM

Windows, XP Professional 2002
Service Pack 2
AMD 706 MHz, 1.25 GB of RAM

Hi, after recently (finally) updating my XP pro from service pack 2 to service pack 3, things went bad... firefox suddenly wouldnt open at all, and Internet Explorer (8) would start to open, but then it's window would close all by itself a few seconds later. I ran Maleware Bytes and Microsoft Security Essentials in both regular and safe modes,(both programs were able to download updates, so the internet connection was there to some extent) and everything came up clean. after a few days, i gave in and did a system restore to a few weeks previous time (before i tried to upgrade to service pack 3). However, still no IE or Firefox. I then realized that i was able to use an old "AOL Explorer" browser, and used that to download Google Chrome. I then used Google Chrome to download a new version of Internet Explorer (8), and now i seem to have a working Internet Explorer again. (Firefox still doesnt work, but havent tried to re-download it yet)
My main concern now is that Microsoft Security Essentials wont complete a "Full Scan." (Malware Bytes will complete and finds nothing wrong). I even downloaded/installed a fresh version of Microsoft Security Essentials and it does the same thing... quick scan finishes and finds nothing, yet a full scan run for a few hours and then has an error message " cannot scan computer because service is not running. restart service manually or restart computer blah blah blah..."
Any suggestions?
Thanks for any help.
- J

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 USN Vet

USN Vet

• Members
  • 190 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2011 - 12:22 AM

You may have to set reciprocal exclusions in your Anti Virus and Anti Malware APPS
so they do not interfere with each other.

(Hope this response isn't violating forum rules)

Edited by USN Vet, 09 August 2011 - 12:57 AM.

Feel free to ignore my comment, just another user !

#3 jcisuzu

jcisuzu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2011 - 06:32 AM

Microsoft Essentials and MalwareBytes interfering? never been an issue before. besides, MalewareBytes onle runs when i manually run it... but i'm willing to give it a try.
what settings would i need to adjust in each program?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,406 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2011 - 09:04 AM

Remove MSE...try a different AV, such as Avira Free or Avast.

You could also do online scans, http://www.google.com/#hl=en&xhr=t&q=online+AV+scan&cp=10&pf=p&sclient=psy&biw=1440&bih=671&source=hp&aq=0&aqi=g5&aql=&oq=online+AV+&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=739cf39a78c48e1

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users