Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Vista Welcome Screen

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 CrashAriMP5N2O

CrashAriMP5N2O

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 AM

Posted 08 August 2011 - 06:38 PM

Greetings BC community.

My mom has a Windows Vista laptop and the problem started when she tried accessing Firefox and nothing happened, then the screen faded into black and nothing can be done except turn the power off.

Since windows did not shut down normally, the boot up menu showed up and I proceeded to start it normally. When it got to the Welcome Screen, the user accounts are visible. However, after clicking on one of them, the username and password screen doesn't show up and it just displays the background of the Welcome Screen.

Turned off the computer and started normally again and it still has the same symptoms. I then booted in safe mode and the username and password screen showed up after selecting a user account. The system works normally in safe mode and internet can be accessed.

After proceeding to shut down normally, I tried booting in normal mode again and the symptoms persists.

I appreciate the help and information I can get as to what is causing this. Thank you.
Posted Image
"You called down the thunder, now reap the whirlwind!"
~SS~

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MarkGS

MarkGS

• Members
  • 245 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 PM

Posted 08 August 2011 - 06:43 PM

Have you tried booting using the option "last known good configuration" option on the advanced start up menu (same place you select safe mode)?

#3 CrashAriMP5N2O

CrashAriMP5N2O
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 AM

Posted 08 August 2011 - 06:53 PM

Have you tried booting using the option "last known good configuration" option on the advanced start up menu (same place you select safe mode)?

Is this through the boot-up menu F12? The safe mode access I made were through the Windows Error recovery console.
Posted Image
"You called down the thunder, now reap the whirlwind!"
~SS~

#4 MarkGS

MarkGS

• Members
  • 245 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2011 - 09:18 PM

No it's though the menu when you tap F8.

#5 gilmister

gilmister

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2011 - 12:17 AM

Hi CrashAriMP5N2O
It sounds like a corrupted file extension, or broken string. Do you have the latest version of Firefox installed? I would uninstall then reinstall Firefox.The link here will give you instructions on uninstalling it. The link here is were you can download the latest version
Before you do that, in Safe Mode, Click on the Windows Start Button and select Internet Explorer. Restart your computer, is everything normal? If yes, go to the first link and follow the instructions for uninstall and re-install.
If no, go to this link Here and follow the instructions for Malware help.

Regards,
Gilmister

Edited by gilmister, 10 August 2011 - 12:42 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users