Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Downloaded too many anti- programs

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Yabba Doo

Yabba Doo

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:03 AM

Posted 08 August 2011 - 05:07 PM

AFTER I downloaded and ran all these programs I read on Bleeping Computer that I shouldn't be running more than one antivirus program on my computer. I also read that it's okay to run anti-malware and anti-spyware programs in conjunction with an antivirus program. So I started reading to figure out which antivirus programs I should delete. Many of them sound very similar. I don't know which to remove and which to keep.

My computer has Windows 7, it's 64-bit, and I already had McAfee on it. This is the overkill I downloaded and ran:

Ad-Aware
ARO 2011
Auslogics
AVG 2011
Catalyst Control Center
CCleaner
Glary Utilities
Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
Norton Security Scan
Revo Uninstaller
Uniblue
Window Registry Repair
WinUtilities
WinUtilities Free Memory Optimizer
Wise Disk Cleaner
Wise Registry Cleaner

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 n01paranoid

n01paranoid

• Members
  • 189 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 PM

Posted 09 August 2011 - 03:53 AM

At the risk of preempting the response of the BC team, I would suggest uninstalling any registry cleaner/optimizer. Benefits are minimal but there is the potential for serious problems.

You are not specific about which Auslogics product you have. If it's their registry cleaner, see above, although I have used it without problems. If it's the disk defragger, keep it because it's outstanding (but is nothing to do with anti-malware).

CCleaner is a class leading clean-up utility, so keep it, but just for disk clean-up, not registry cleaning. Malwarebytes is also excellent, as is revo uninstaller, but is not an anti-malware program, nor is Catalyst Control Center.

I would uninstall everything else, particularly anything to do with scareware merchants Uniblue.

AVG antivirus is no longer the stellar product it once was, having become bloated and heavy on resources, with mediocre detection rates to boot. I suggest you replace it with AVAST free. Avira was, until recently, my top free antivirus choice until their ASK toolbar affiliation.

This would be my suggested list of products/ways to improve security:

Avast free antivirus
Malwarebytes Antimalware free
SuperAntispyware free
Secunia Personal Software Inspector (also ensure all older versions of products are removed)
Add Web Of Trust (WOT) to your browser

If you're feeling a little more adventurous you may wish to install a better firewall than the built-in Windows one. COMODO INTERNET SECURITY free would be my choice. Don't install the antivirus part, just the firewall and Defense+. There's an excellent installation and set up guide on the Gizmo Freeware site. I'm certainly not an expert, far from it, but I found it easy to understand.

Good luck :thumbup2:

#3 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,735 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 PM

Posted 09 August 2011 - 04:15 AM

And I will add that you don't need Memory Optimization software.

To quote Mark Russinovich:

... at best, RAM optimizers have no effect, and at worst, they seriously degrade performance.

http://www.windowsitpro.com/article/internals-and-architecture/the-memory-optimization-hoax

If you don't know who Mark is, he's a top expert on the Windows kernel:
https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Mark_Russinovich

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Senior Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2019
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,952 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2011 - 09:31 AM

mvps.org is no longer recommending Spybot S&D or Ad-Aware due to poor testing results. See here - (scroll down and read under Freeware Antispyware Products). Ad-Aware has even been placed into the Installers Hall of Shame for bundling and pre-checking Google Chrome during the installation. Also read Lavasoft Turning to the Dark Side? written by a former volunteer (now a MVP) who provided support for Ad-Aware but no longer uses the program.

More on Registry Cleaners:
I recommend taking advantage of the Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (Pro) Protection Module in the full version which uses advanced heuristic scanning technology to monitor your system and provide real-time protection to prevent the installation of most new malware. This technology runs at startup where it monitors every process and helps stop malicious processes before they can infect your computer. Keep in mind that this feature does not guarantee something will not slip through as no product can detect and prevent every type of malware. The database that defines the heuristics is updated as often as there is something to add to it. Also keep in mind that Malwarebytes does not act as a real-time protection scanner for every file like an anti-virus program so it is intended to be a supplement, not a substitute. Enabling the Protection Module feature requires registration and purchase of a license key that includes free lifetime upgrades and support. After activation, Malwarebytes can be set to update itself and schedule scans automatically on a daily basis. The Protection Module is not intrusive as the program utilizes few system resources and should not conflict with other scanners or anti-virus programs.

If any conflicts between Malwarebytes and another security program are reported, suggested solutions are usually provided in the Common Issues, Questions, and their Solutions, FAQs thread. I know and have worked with some members of the research team so I can attest that they make every effort to resolve issues as quickly as possible.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 Yabba Doo

Yabba Doo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2011 - 01:32 PM

Thank you all for your responses. I removed most of what I had downloaded; kept CCleaner for disk clean up only; I also kept Revo Uninstaller. I'm purchasing Malwarebytes Pro version so I can enable the protection mode. And I did download Avast and WOT -- they're very annoying though, and now I'm thinking I should remove them too. None of your responses mentioned the McAfee I'm running and the Norton Security Scan. Should they be run in conjunction with Malwarebytes Pro or do you recommend I remove them?

Thanks again.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,952 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2011 - 02:40 PM

Norton Security Scan is a software tool designed to help you understand if your computer is currently protected from known threats. Norton Security Scan will scan your computer and identify if there are existing viruses, worms, spyware, unwanted adware or Trojans residing on your computer. Norton Security Scan checks to see how your computer is currently protected.

Norton Security Scan will check to see what security software is on your computer. It will not conflict with other security software that is installed.

What is Norton Security Scan?

#7 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2011 - 06:19 PM

Houston, we may have a problem...:unsure:

...Auslogics product you have...If it's the disk defragger, keep it because it's outstanding...

...Avira was, until recently, my top free antivirus choice until their ASK toolbar affiliation.

I tried to D/L Auslogics defrag from their site and found it to be very confusing for the average/ to novice user to get the defrag prog without the "speed-boost" crud they're peddling/bundling:

1) http://i1107.photobucket.com/albums/h382/UnionThug/Computer/1.png
2) http://i1107.photobucket.com/albums/h382/UnionThug/Computer/2.png
3) http://i1107.photobucket.com/albums/h382/UnionThug/Computer/3.png
4) http://i1107.photobucket.com/albums/h382/UnionThug/Computer/4.png

After d/ling what appeared to be "just" the defragger, we end up with "Auslogics BoostSpeed Installation File" :huh:

I then tried to d/l from FileHippo

1) http://i1107.photobucket.com/albums/h382/UnionThug/Computer/5.png
2) http://i1107.photobucket.com/albums/h382/UnionThug/Computer/6.png
3) http://i1107.photobucket.com/albums/h382/UnionThug/Computer/7.png
4) http://i1107.photobucket.com/albums/h382/UnionThug/Computer/8.png

We end up with a pre-checked "optional" Crapware/Toolbar & Homepage hijack to Ask. :angry:

Edited by Union_Thug, 11 August 2011 - 09:18 AM.

#8 n01paranoid

n01paranoid

• Members
  • 189 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2011 - 04:04 AM

I did download Avast and WOT -- they're very annoying though....None of your responses mentioned McAfee.

Regarding Avast and WOT, I'm very surprised you find them annoying. Can you you be more specific? I find Avast particularly user-friendly.

Regarding McAfee, I presume this is their full security suite, including antivirus. If that's the case then you may wish to use it until the free trial period ends, but you should never have more than one antivirus. So either keep McAfee and get rid of Avast or vice versa. Personally I would keep Avast.

Edited by n01paranoid, 11 August 2011 - 04:06 AM.

#9 Yabba Doo

Yabba Doo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2011 - 09:13 AM

Thank you for your recommendations. I'll get rid of the McAfee and keep Avast. The thing I don't like about Avast and WOT is the pop-ups when I'm Googling something. And a site I'm familiar with won't load. Avast's pop-up was: "This site has no rating (not enough votes)." I can't find anywhere in the settings that could cause it do to that. When in doubt, go find out, right? I'll re-read the information section. I appreciate your suggestions.

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,952 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2011 - 09:37 AM

The pop-up warnings are there to protect you.

WebRep is part of the new protection offered with avast! 6 and works with IE and Firefox out of the box. This feature supports a search result ranking and Web site reputation service that uses a combination of data from Avast's virus labs and user voting to determine a safety score for a site. When you launch avast!, click on the Additional Protection button on the left and there will be information for AutoSandbox, WebRep and Site Blocking.

What is the avast! WebRep and how to install it?

Note: SiteAdvisor, WOT and avast WebRep are essentially safe browsing tools which use a community of volunteer members who exchange knowledge of websites. They utilize a rating system to indicate overall safety based on trustworthiness, vendor reliability, privacy and child safety. While these tools are useful, they are not foolproof and sometimes may provide misleading ratings. Just because you visit a risky site does not automatically mean the site is bad or that your system has been infected by going there.

#11 n01paranoid

n01paranoid

• Members
  • 189 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2011 - 12:07 PM

A little more information about WOT (I've disabled WebRep because it does roughly the same as WOT but in my view isn't as good, not yet anyway. I also think McAfee Site Advisor is some way behind WOT).

If you right click on the WOT icon (a green circle at the top of your browser's home page, exact position varies depending on browser), go to settings, then warnings, you can customize WOT to suit you. For instance, if you would like to access sites with no rating, simply uncheck the boxes next to Protect me if no rating is available . If you would like to be warned about sites that have a low rating and then decide for yourself if you want to visit them, instead of having them blocked, click on the various 'switch' icons between Warning and Blocking, so that Warning is selected. In Google Chrome the Blocking option is not available.

Even though, in my view, WOT is the standout performer amongst site raters and is an excellent addition to your security arsenal, as quietman says, none of these products is foolproof. If you're not sure about a site, click on the coloured circle next to it to see what the WOT community thinks about it. If there are no comments, or you're still not convinced, google the site for more information.

#12 Yabba Doo

Yabba Doo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2011 - 01:46 PM

Duly noted: Pop-ups are for protection, not to be confused with annoying!~>
avast! has a lot more to it than I'd realized. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction, quietman7.
And thanks for the info, n01paranoid, on WOT. Sounds like I need to keep it.

#13 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,952 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2011 - 02:45 PM

You're welcome on behalf of the Bleeping Computer community.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users