Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What is this thing?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 SeanWoodcraft

SeanWoodcraft

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 AM

Posted 08 August 2011 - 04:56 PM

Hi guys, bit of an odd one...my girlfriend keeps getting this odd logo filling her screen - sort of a red b with an eye in it and radio waves coming off it.

We can minimise it, but there is no program name visible, and as soon as we try to do anything else - it disappears.

It is only coming up when the machine has been idle for a short period, somewhere in the region of 5 minutes.

I've attached a screen print she managed to get.

Posted Image

Any help or clues are greatly appreciated, seeing as it isn't being flagged by any anti-virus/anti-malware programs.

Thanks guys

Sean

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 weatherman13

weatherman13

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 AM

Posted 08 August 2011 - 05:01 PM

Hello and Welcome to Bleeping Computer,
Has she downloaded programs lately?

Thanks

#3 SeanWoodcraft

SeanWoodcraft
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2011 - 11:54 AM

She has, however, all of the programs downloaded have been from reputable sources..

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 AM

Posted 09 August 2011 - 02:47 PM

What is your operating system and if you right click on it what do the Properties tell you?

What is your Internet Service Provider?

Edited by boopme, 09 August 2011 - 02:59 PM.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 SeanWoodcraft

SeanWoodcraft
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2011 - 05:01 PM

Right Click: Absolutely nothing! At first, I thought it was a screensaver, but it doesn't behave as such.
ISP: Virgin Media

Many thanks

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2011 - 10:19 PM

Download Autoruns for Windows: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinte...s/bb963902.aspx

No installation required.

Simply unzip Autoruns.zip file, and double click on autoruns.exe file to run the program.

Go File>Save, and save it as AutoRuns.txt file to know location.

You must select Text from drop-down menu as a file type:

Posted Image

Attach the file to your next reply.

Compliments of Broni

#7 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2011 - 10:38 PM

That logo is related to blinkX.

It is related to a video search engine for content such as movies and videos.

Here is the link to their web site.

http://www.blinkx.com/

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 10 August 2011 - 11:48 PM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#8 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2011 - 10:46 AM

Way to go Mr B :clapping:
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,758 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2011 - 02:13 PM

You can easily uninstall the blinkx Video Toolbar by clicking on the "Start" button; then clicking on the "Settings" button, then clicking on the "Control Panel" button, then clicking on the "Add or Remove Programs" button, then selecting " blinkx Video Toolbar ", then clicking on the "Change/Remove" button. Make sure all your browser windows are closed before starting the uninstallation process.

blinkx toolbar EULA

The software comes bundled with a screen saver so Change your screen saver to something else.

Many toolbars, Add-ons and screensavers come bundled with other software and can be removed via Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel or Programs and Features in Vista/Windows 7 so you should alsways check there first.

After reboot use Windows Search feature > More advanced options to see if the file ssblinkx.scr is still present. If it is, right-click on it and choose delete. Then navigate to C:\Program Files and delete the blinkx beat folder if it is still present.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users