Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer not reading blank discs...

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Josef1994

Josef1994

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 AM

Posted 08 August 2011 - 04:37 PM

I went on to my computer last week and inserted a bland cd, but the computer didn't read it...and I didn't take any action. Then I inserted a blank DVD this morning and the computer once again didn't read it. At first, I thought it was the laser lens is dirty, but I cleaned it with a laser cleaner and it still kept on doing it. Then I replaced the CD/DVD ROM with a different one, and still I have the same problem. Any help would be much appreciated, Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 AM

Posted 08 August 2011 - 04:44 PM

What do you mean it doesn't "read" a blank disk? If they're blank what is you that you expect to happen?

#3 Josef1994

Josef1994
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2011 - 04:59 PM

Hi Allan, I mean that the computer won't recognize the discs, if I go to my computer when an empty disc is inserted in the CD/DVD ROM and I go on the drive and double click, it says to insert a disc.

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,629 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2011 - 05:02 PM

I assume you trying to copy something to them? If so, do you start the disc writing software? See if that software sees the discs.

#5 Josef1994

Josef1994
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2011 - 02:36 AM

Yes, I have a couple of school files I would like to burn to them, but I don't have a burning software. I just copy and paste them to the CD, but I can't see it.

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,629 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2011 - 06:32 AM

Let's see what happens with burning software just as a test. Please download, install and run CDBurnerXP: http://cdburnerxp.se/

#7 Josef1994

Josef1994
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2011 - 08:29 AM

I installed Nero Kwik (the free version) because I had it around four months ago, and once again it's not detecting it.

#8 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,629 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2011 - 08:32 AM

Okay, a couple of things then please:

1) May I assume this DID work at some point in the past?
2) Does the drive read disc with data on them? If so, then
3) Have you tried a different brand of disc?

#9 Josef1994

Josef1994
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2011 - 08:38 AM

Yes, It was working fine, and yes it does read CD's with data on them. DVD's of the same brand with data on them works perfectly, just empty DVD's and CD's which are of the same brand are working. But I'm not sure, but last month I inserted a blank CD and worked, and I think that I saved something different in the autoplay menu.

#10 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,629 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2011 - 08:46 AM

just empty DVD's and CD's which are of the same brand are working.

I don't know wht this means

But I'm not sure, but last month I inserted a blank CD and worked, and I think that I saved something different in the autoplay menu.

I also don't know what this means. But have you tried using system restore to go back to a point before the problem appeared?

#11 Josef1994

Josef1994
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2011 - 09:18 AM

I have tried the last restore point saved, but the system keeps telling me that it has not succesfully restored because there was a file that the computer couldn't access because of the antivirus, so I have AVIRA antivirus and I deactivated it, and still I get that message.

#12 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,629 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2011 - 09:22 AM

What OS are you using? Also, please explain the two statements you made that I didn't understand. Thanks.

#13 Josef1994

Josef1994
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2011 - 09:26 AM

just empty DVD's and CD's which are of the same brand are working.

Sorry I meant not working.

But I'm not sure, but last month I inserted a blank CD and worked, and I think that I saved something different in the autoplay menu.

Last month, I inserted a blank CD, and worked perfectly, and when the autoplay window comes up I went to the autoplay settings, and I think that I have saved a setting wrong.

What OS are you using?

Windows 7

#14 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,629 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2011 - 09:30 AM

Okay - let's see if this helps: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Change-AutoPlay-settings

#15 Josef1994

Josef1994
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2011 - 09:35 AM

Same problem, the brand of CD's I have used to work, so I don't think buying CD's of a different brand will make a difference, but I'll try.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users