I posted my problem in the vista forum, but it was suggested there that since I downloaded a torrent before my problems started, I repost here ...
Starting a week or so ago, it's been freezing repeatedly. When it first began, it took a REALLY long time to load. When it finally did load, I ran some scans and since then it loads at normal speed, but still freezes occaisonally. This has happened a couple times while the computer was in 'sleep' or 'hibernate' mode - when this happens I can't get it to turn back on except by holding down the power button for manual turn-off and then starting over.
It has also freezed several times while the computer is on - when this happens, the cursor still moves around, but I can't click on anything, and no buttons do anything, including ctrl/alt/delete. I have to hold down the power button to get anything to happen.
This happens at seemingly random times - it worked for about 12 hours straight yesterday, then froze twice within an hour.
I don't know what could have caused it. Only 2 things that come to mind are that I downloaded some "True Blood" episodes via torrent a few weeks back and played one of them (but they were the new eps from "trusted sources" so if they contained malware, many folks would have it) and one day it was in my bag on hibernate, but was very hot, as if it had been running hard for a while.
I've tried the following things, and have pretty much reached the end of my limited skills, so any tips would be helpful.
- have run Advanced System Care twice. Both times it found about 25 registry errors, most of which said things like currentuser/software/microsoft/windows/currentversion/explorer/Co.../CIDsizeMRU. I don't remember getting these registry errors before, so perhaps it's related to the freezing?
- have run CC Cleaner, but it only found one registry problem
- have run AVG free but it found nothing
- have run windows defender but it found nothing
- have run spybot scan/destroy and it found a few things, but I don't remember what and it's been freezing since then anyway
- have downloaded and run hijack this, but I don't know what to do with the results and see that I'm not supposed to post them here. If people think it's worthwhile I could start a thread with those in the appropriate forum.
- have run Dell Diagnostics and it found nothing
In the other forum, it's been pointed out that registry cleaners cause more problems than they solve. So I'm going to uninstall them. And it was suggested that it's either an infection or perhaps some problem with the memory that would be fixed by reinstalling Windows. Before I do that, I'd like to see if maybe it's some virus that I could get rid of relatively easily.
Thanks so much for any advice you might have.
Edited by elgizowiv, 08 August 2011 - 02:03 PM.