Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer shuts down in early AM

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 sound-doc

sound-doc

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 AM

Posted 08 August 2011 - 11:43 AM

For about a month, my computer has been shutting down (often -- not always) during the early AM hours. This is not a bluescreen event, I just find the computer turned off later in the morning. I am never using the computer at this time. Sometimes it shuts down before my scheduled 2AM Vipre malware scan; sometimes after the scan; sometimes during the scan. In looking on my WinPatrol, I noticed that there is a service running called "pml driver hpz12". I have not had an HP printer for years, and have tried to uninstall all the associated software and drivers. I don't know whether this is related to the shutdowns, or if it needs to be removed, or how to remove it, but it is related to errors that show up on the event log, in that it can't find a file when it initializes; therefore, I suspect that at least this service is slowing boot-up.

So two questions: What is causing the shutdowns? And how do I get rid of pml driver hpz12? Thanks for any help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 weatherman13

weatherman13

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 AM

Posted 08 August 2011 - 11:52 AM

Hello and Welcome to Bleeping Computer,
Have you checked your BIOS to see if it has a programed Boot Up shut down time? If you do not know how to work your BIOS do not hesitate to ask. If you do not know I will need you computer model number and brand.

Thanks

Edited by weatherman13, 08 August 2011 - 11:53 AM.

#3 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 PM

Posted 08 August 2011 - 12:33 PM

Check your Windows Update time and see if its scheduled around that time frame. Miine is scheduled to update at 0300edt and then it will have 4 hours before it is rebooted or shut down to install the updates.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users