Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

MS Office Files Corruption

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Nigelajodha

Nigelajodha

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 PM

Posted 08 August 2011 - 11:28 AM

I have a storage hard drive that I keep all my documents over the years. From time to time I have added to it and viewed it. I have been switching the drive as a slave to various PC's over the years. Win 2000 / Win XP - Office 2000 / Office 2003
Recently when I accessed the drive a very large portion of the files are corrupted. They are visable as files ( word, excel,jpeg, powerpoint etc). Right clicking, would give me the type of file, date created , modified, accessed.
However when I open them they are all corrupted. Word opens as gibberish, jpegs say no preview available, excel does not open and even some exe files dont run
Presently I have the drive hooked up to a P4 PC running XP SP2 and MS office 2000. Most of these files were created on a PIII Compaq running Win 2000 / Office 2000. Oh I downgraded last week to Office 2000 to see if they would open but prior to that I had office 2003 running on this PC.
I have tried several demos of programs online that claim they can correct file corruption. None work and the higher end ones dont even see a file ( Advanced Office Repair)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:11 AM

Posted 08 August 2011 - 11:38 AM

Can you try running chkdsk /r on the drive and see if that fixes things?

#3 weatherman13

weatherman13

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2011 - 11:39 AM

Hi Nigelajodha,
Have you recently had any problems with viruses in the computer?

Thanks

#4 Nigelajodha

Nigelajodha
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2011 - 04:45 PM

Thanks for your replies guys. This far both have been checked. I am running Symantec Endpoint ( up to date) no viruses.
Also as for the chkdsk. Once when I was using it it did ask to do a chkdsk and I let it run. Did not fix the problem.
Sometimes I ask folk questions that could confuse any expert. Is it in actuality that files & folders are version sensitive? I've been told this. Dunno if its true.
So by that, is it that by moving the hdd from one version office to another I ended up having this corruption?. If the files were not seen I would be much less hopeful but they are all there inclusive of the type any an outline of the document

Edited by Nigelajodha, 08 August 2011 - 04:45 PM.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,302 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2011 - 01:45 PM

As Cryptodan suggested...you need to manually run the chkdsk /r command.

You can do so by going to Explorer view...right-click on drive, click Properties. Clic Tools tab, push push Check Now button. Put check marks in both options presented...click OK.

The involuntary chkdsks which are initiated by the system...usually are indicators that a manual chkdsk /r or equivalent...needs to be manually run.

Louis

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:11 AM

Posted 09 August 2011 - 01:54 PM

You can also perform a chkdsk /f from command prompt from within Windows on the drive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users