Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

slow boot up

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 superqaz

superqaz

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 PM

Posted 08 August 2011 - 05:43 AM

hi

can anyone help pls

my xp machine is extremely slow in booting, gets stuck for several mins at the xp screen with the progress bar below.

have just finished removing malware [other forum] but am going through the steps again, including defrag and selective startup option [no services and no startup items checked], and crap cleaner

c: hd free space is low at 3.5 gb

this may be coneected: for a long time the pc sometimes has refused to boot, showing various errors, this has always been fixed by re seating the hd cables, power to hd and memory strips

thanks mark

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 AM

Posted 08 August 2011 - 07:05 AM

Based on what you've said above, if it were my system I'd copy any critical data to off-disc media and reformat and start from scratch.

#3 USN Vet

USN Vet

• Members
  • 190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 AM

Posted 08 August 2011 - 08:51 AM

Agree completely with Allan. And before you reinstall, run a chkdsk /r on that drive.
Feel free to ignore my comment, just another user !

#4 superqaz

superqaz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 PM

Posted 08 August 2011 - 10:59 AM

thanks but i dont have an xp disc, any other ideas. i would like to look at boot defrag but cant find it in registry ... i get a new pc soon and want to fix this one, not reintall xp.

The following, which is copied from first entry, has been a problem since long before the slow boot up and may well be loose cables: "for a long time the pc sometimes has refused to boot, showing various errors, this has always been fixed by re seating the hd cables, power to hd and memory strips"a

ny help appreciated

Edited by superqaz, 09 August 2011 - 07:11 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users