Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell latitude D810 won't turn on.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 JamesHood

JamesHood

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 AM

Posted 08 August 2011 - 05:11 AM

Hey there I've got a dell latitude D810 and as of yesterday it decided not to work. I plugged it in with a 12 volt charger, then it just stopped working!! The three lights come on the front of it and so does the power on button. it sounds like it's about to start then nothing. Thats about all i can say. If theres anyone who knows of what might be making this problem please let me know!
Thank you

Edited by hamluis, 08 August 2011 - 07:28 AM.
Moved from XP to Internal Hardware.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:01 PM

Posted 08 August 2011 - 01:32 PM

A 12volt charger is the wrong voltage. The AC adapter should be 19Volts to the laptop. 65 watt or 90 watt. If the Real Dell adapter isn't the right one the Laptop will tell you.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 HiroPro

HiroPro

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 PM

Posted 08 August 2011 - 03:28 PM

The moment you connected the WRONG power adapter you fried the DC board inside by undervolting it. The DC PSU board can cost as much as $150 bucks and depending on the notebook chassis design can require as much as 5 hours of shop time to replace. In total that's a possible $500 fix. Probably time to shop for a new notebook. Live and learn I guess...

Always make sure that when use a DC PSU that it's the right voltage and amperage for the device it's plugged into. This can be done by reading the voltage and amp used by the device. By law it has to be written on the device. Also the PSU/power brick will have it's voltage and watt/amp hours written on it's sticker.

PS Cheaper notebook motherboard have the DC PSU section right on the mobo PCB. This means an entirely new motherboard. Quality notebooks will have a separate PCB for the DC PSU section though the trend it just to have it on the motherboard.

Edited by HiroPro, 08 August 2011 - 03:47 PM.

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:01 PM

Posted 09 August 2011 - 09:14 AM

Also for anyone with a Dell.

Buy genuine Dell power adapters, I've seen many problems caused by generic from low perrformance to not charging the battery that were cured by using a Dell branded Adapter.

Easy to tell the right AC Adapter. Look on the bottom of the laptop. It'll give the family that it will work with.

Example PA-12 Family, PA-10 Family, or PA-10 or PA-12 Family or PA-6 Family. The Adapters will be marked with the Family too.

The proper family on the adapter needed defines Voltage, Current, And physical plug where it plugs into the laptop.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users