Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Boot Issues

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 MadMaverick

MadMaverick

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 PM

Posted 07 August 2011 - 10:34 PM

Okay Gents,
I have basically given up hope in finding out an answer to my current issue. Basically for the past two months my computer has been giving me boot issues. The computer will only fully boot about 1 out of every 5 times. It seems that when I press the power button, the computer will turn on, power supply lights up, cd-drives run briefly, and I can hear the HDD spinning. From there, I will get the front activity light on my tower staying constantly lit. I will let the computer sit for a bit to see if it eventually turns the monitor on to fully boot up, it doesn't. I get no beeps either, and no error messages. Just a lit up computer with no other reponses. Although on a rare chance, the computer will boot up successfully with absolutely no issues. I can leave it running for days straight if I fancy with no lag or problems.

Steps I have taken so far:
1. Opened and cleaned and reseated each part of the computer. This seemed to work for the first boot, but in a matter of time it was back to acting up.
2. I ran a few hardware scanners to see if any part of the hardware was flawed, the scans came back positive.
3. I had a malware issue a bit ago, but subsequent cleans have found no issues.
4. I have tried different outlets, power cords, and surge protectors.

I believe it is the MOBO. I figured if the Power Supply is feeding power to the computer, that cannot be the culprit. The fact that I am getting nothing from the monitor makes me believe that it can be the video card, but I also get no sound from the MOBO. If the video card was shot, I would figure at least I would get the Windows 7 boot sound from the speakers.

Any and all advice is much appreciated. I did order a new computer anyway due to it being that time to upgrade but, I would like to have this computer be a secondary FUNCTIONAL one.

The Specs are as follows:
Posted Image

Thank You for any help in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 PM

Posted 07 August 2011 - 10:39 PM

Have you tried running hard drive tests via the Western Digital Data Life Guard Tests via http://www.wdc.com?

#3 HiroPro

HiroPro

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:14 AM

Posted 08 August 2011 - 12:02 AM

Memory Support List for that board. It sounds like memory compatibility issue with motherboard BIOS to me. Those nVidia chipset boards were notorious for memory module compatibility issues.

ftp://download.gigabyte.ru/memory/motherboard_memory_ga-n650sli-ds4.pdf

Edited by HiroPro, 08 August 2011 - 12:38 AM.

#4 MadMaverick

MadMaverick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2011 - 01:48 AM

Have you tried running hard drive tests via the Western Digital Data Life Guard Tests via http://www.wdc.com?

Ran it for both drives, no problems.

Memory Support List for that board. It sounds like memory compatibility issue with motherboard BIOS to me. Those nVidia chipset boards were notorious for memory module compatibility issues.

ftp://download.gigabyte.ru/memory/motherboard_memory_ga-n650sli-ds4.pdf

But the memory has been on the mobo since its' creation. Is it possible that it randomly became uncompatible without any reason? If it is a memory compatibility issue, what is the solution?

#5 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2011 - 01:56 AM

How to Test your RAM

Guide Overview

The purpose of this guide is to teach you how to check whether your system's RAM (Ramdom Access Memory) is working properly. Bad RAM can lead to a whole host of problems, often which do not appear to have a single cause -- appearing as systemwide glitches, blue screens, and other system trouble. MemTest86+ provides a very good detection mechanism for failed RAM, and is about as good a test you get short of actually replacing the module itself.

Tools Needed
Please perform these steps from a separate, working, machine.Perform these steps on the problem machine.
  • Put your CD in the drive and configure your machine to boot to the CD. This is different on all machines, but it's usually by pressing F12 or F10 as your system boots, and selecting either "CDROM" or your cdrom drive. If you are unable to force a CDRom boot, reply with the make and model of your machine and I should be able to get you exact instructions.
  • If you've done it correctly, MemTest86+ will start to run automaticly, as shown below:
    Posted Image
  • If you want to be reasonably your RAM is OK, then allow MemTest to run until you see this message:
    Posted Image

On the other hand, if you want to be completely sure your RAM is OK, allow MemTest to run overnight. Memtest will run forever until power is pulled on the machine.
  • Check the MemTest screen for any reported errors. Errors will appear as RED warnings at the bottom of the screen, similar to the following screenshot:
    Posted Image
  • Hard-Reset the machine, removing the MemTest disk in the process.
If you didn't get an error screen, Congratulations! :)

Compliments of Billy O'Neal.

#6 MadMaverick

MadMaverick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2011 - 02:58 PM

How to Test your RAM

Guide Overview

The purpose of this guide is to teach you how to check whether your system's RAM (Ramdom Access Memory) is working properly. Bad RAM can lead to a whole host of problems, often which do not appear to have a single cause -- appearing as systemwide glitches, blue screens, and other system trouble. MemTest86+ provides a very good detection mechanism for failed RAM, and is about as good a test you get short of actually replacing the module itself.

Tools Needed
Please perform these steps from a separate, working, machine.Perform these steps on the problem machine.
  • Put your CD in the drive and configure your machine to boot to the CD. This is different on all machines, but it's usually by pressing F12 or F10 as your system boots, and selecting either "CDROM" or your cdrom drive. If you are unable to force a CDRom boot, reply with the make and model of your machine and I should be able to get you exact instructions.
  • If you've done it correctly, MemTest86+ will start to run automaticly, as shown below:
    Posted Image
  • If you want to be reasonably your RAM is OK, then allow MemTest to run until you see this message:
    Posted Image

On the other hand, if you want to be completely sure your RAM is OK, allow MemTest to run overnight. Memtest will run forever until power is pulled on the machine.
  • Check the MemTest screen for any reported errors. Errors will appear as RED warnings at the bottom of the screen, similar to the following screenshot:
    Posted Image
  • Hard-Reset the machine, removing the MemTest disk in the process.
If you didn't get an error screen, Congratulations! :)

Compliments of Billy O'Neal.

Ran MemTest prior, everything came back fine.

#7 MadDawg

MadDawg

• Members
  • 453 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 PM

Posted 08 August 2011 - 03:11 PM

From my experience, the likely culprits here are the Mobo or the PSU.

I recommend that you swap the PSU and see if that helps. Power supplies can do some weird things when they fail.

If that doesn't work, there could be something wrong with the motherboard. A previous board I had would not POST unless I waited at least 15 mins after I last shut it down, and even then, there was about a 20% chance that it would not POST. It worked flawlessly when it did decide to boot the OS.
A penguin broke my windows with a half-eaten apple!

#8 HiroPro

HiroPro

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:14 AM

Posted 08 August 2011 - 03:14 PM

I have seen this issue before. If you run Prime95 you will see errors on certain cores. It's related to when the CPU is pushed and you have a lot of memory IO. Really hard to figure out as it's the memory controller causing the errors in RAM not the actual memory modules themselves. Replacing memory modules with ones on the compatibility list and updating BIOS will cure these types of issues. It could also be a bad SPD in the memory module. I'd try setting memory timings manually.

Edited by HiroPro, 08 August 2011 - 03:15 PM.

#9 MadMaverick

MadMaverick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2011 - 10:21 PM

Do you have a link for the Prime95 prog? I did a quick search and found a few websites, but no links.

I am leaning towards it being the MOBO actually. I will see if I can find some compatible RAM to try that.

#10 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2011 - 10:28 PM

To find compatible RAM you can give these sites a try:

http://www.crucial.com

http://www.kingston.com

http://www.corsair.com

Then head on over to your favorite computer shop or site like http://www.newegg.com and see if they have it in stock and see if its affordable.

#11 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2011 - 11:14 PM

Here's the link you're looking for. :thumbup2:

Prime95 http://majorgeeks.com/Prime95_d4363.html

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#12 MadMaverick

MadMaverick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2011 - 01:38 AM

Any recommendations on how long I should run Prime95 for? I was thinking of leaving it on overnight.

#13 MadMaverick

MadMaverick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2011 - 11:48 AM

Also for the past day or so, my computer has been booting up normally without any issue. I don't want to jinx it. I am still sure there is a problem because really all I did was run the Prime95 test for about 4 hours, with no issues.

#14 MadMaverick

MadMaverick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2011 - 03:17 PM

Okay, ignore the last post, it seems the issue still exists. I am a bit unsure as how to proceed now, I am going to see if I can get a piece of ram that is compatible to test it, unless I will have to get a new MOBO.

#15 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2011 - 11:34 PM

Hmm, maybe something to check on the motherboard is its capacitors.

It can cause some erratic behavior and can be at times totally unpredictable. If possible, I'd like to ask you to open one side of the case to take a look inside at the motherboard.

You will be looking for either bulging, rusted, or leaking capacitors. They may look something like this:

Posted Image
If I am helping you and I do not respond within 24 hours, please send me a PM. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users