Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Silverlight crashes in Netflix

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 aeinolf

aeinolf

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 PM

Posted 07 August 2011 - 07:34 PM

I'm running Windows 7 64-bit and have recently encountered a few problems. First (and I'm not sure if this is related), the computer would easily overheat and then cpu usage would skyrocket to 100%, and I wouldn't be able to do anything. After running a virus scan (TrendMicro) and Malwarebytes, I got nothing, and I figured it was just my computer(a DELL Latitude E6400, which usually has overheating problems). This might still be the case.

The new problem is that when using Netflix, Microsoft Silverlight plugin crashes. I've uninstalled and reinstalled all of my browsers, cleared the caches and done everything suggested to me by other people with similar problems until I was directed here. Please help.

Edited by Orange Blossom, 08 August 2011 - 08:14 AM.
Moved to Windows 7. ~ OB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 weatherman13

weatherman13

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 PM

Posted 08 August 2011 - 10:33 AM

Have you attempted to uninstall Silverlight via Programs in features in control panel? IFyou haven't uninstall and reinstall silverlight. You can download silverlight here: http://www.microsoft.com/getsilverlight/Get-Started/Install/Default.aspx .

Thanks

#3 aeinolf

aeinolf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 PM

Posted 09 August 2011 - 01:15 AM

I have tried to uninstall Silverlight through add/remove programs.

Thanks.

#4 Jewel431

Jewel431

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2011 - 03:20 PM

If you are using Internet Explorer, be sure you have added "*.netflix.com" without the quotes to your trusted sites. If you need instructions on how to add a new trusted site, see surfthenetsafely.com: Trusted Sites. Also, if you have "Require https" checked under your trusted sites settings, you must uncheck this option because netflix does not use https.

Do you have "playback of protected content" enabled in your silverlight settings? If you don't know,
1. open the Silverlight Configuration here -> On 64-bit operating systems: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Silverlight\versionNumber\Silverlight.Configuration.exe.
2. Click the "Playback" tab.
3. Choose "Enable playback of protected content", if not already toggled.
"The Playback tab allows users to enable or disable playback of content protected by digital rights management (DRM)." From Microsoft Website: Microsoft Silverlight Configuration.

Retry Netflix.

If playback of protected content is already enabled, or if enabling it doesn't work, Clear your Silverlight Data Storage. This will remove the device ID assigned by Netflix so a new one can be generated the next time. This also helps if Silverlight is crashing because your data was full/near full in the first place.
1. Re-open the Silverlight Configuration Dialog box.
2. Click on "Application Storage" tab. Be sure that "Enable Application Storage" box is checked.
3. Click "delete all" then Click "OK."

-If for some reason you cannot access the Silverlight Configuration, you can clear your Silverlight Data Storage manually. To do this:
Delete the Silverlight folder from C:\Users\UserName\AppData\LocalLow\Microsoft\
- If you do not see the AppData folder, You will have to show hidden files and folders. For help on this see Microsoft: Show hidden files and folders NOTE: After deleting the Silverlight folder, follow the same process and click "Do not show Hidden Files, Folders and drives" to re-hide those folders.

Retry Netflix.

See if those options help.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
- Mythbusters

#5 gelinas

gelinas

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2012 - 08:17 PM

woo hoo!!! adding netflix to my trusted sites has taken me off this disent into hell. you're great thanx a mill. everythings fine now. i'm running windows 7 64 bit and this was my fix for my browser crashing upon me trying to load any page from netflix.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users