Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is It Worth It?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Teach Power

Teach Power

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 PM

Posted 07 August 2011 - 06:43 PM

I ran across several (36) Dell Windows 7 Professional 64-Bit reinstallation DVD packets with manuals in boxes that some Dell laptops were shipped in. I asked the IT guy who ordered the laptops if the DVDs were being thrown away, could I have them to sell. He had no use for them and said yes. Now my question is, are they worth selling? What do they usually sell for? I want to know if it is worth my time and effort? Thank you for any help and comments.
-TeachPower
TeachPower.net founder
Education Resource Library for the classroom & boardroom

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TheShooter93

TheShooter93

Cody

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,792 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2011 - 08:54 PM

I don't see why the DVDs would be of "no use" to him. They could be used to fix problems that only the Recovery DVD would fix.

Anyway, I don't know if those DVDs are for re-sale. I'd imagine they're not.

And depending on if their branded by Dell or not, they may just be for those specific laptops.

CCNA R&SCCNA Security | Network+  |  B.S. - Information Technology | Cyber Security Engineer

If I am helping you and have not replied within 48 hours, please send me a private message.

#3 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 PM

Posted 07 August 2011 - 08:58 PM

I don't think they are worth selling. They can only be used with the specific model of computer they were shipped with.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#4 Teach Power

Teach Power
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2011 - 09:27 PM

TheShooter... the whole lot of reinstallation DVDs are of no use to him because he cloned the hard drive to the other laptops. As far as only being able to be used for that specific laptop, they can be used in any Dell laptop OR desktop according to the manuals that came with them *shrugs*.
-TeachPower
TeachPower.net founder

#5 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,982 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 PM

Posted 07 August 2011 - 10:36 PM

Who owns the laptops? I'd think the discs legally belong to whoever owns the laptops. If the IT guy is not authorized to dispose of their property, it could be awkward for both of you if someone audits and asks questions.

As far as being worth selling goes, something is worth what someone is willing to pay for it. I imagine replacement installation media might be worth five or ten dollars to someone who has lost theirs, depending on whether the manufacturer themselves will provide free replacement media or not.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#6 Teach Power

Teach Power
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2011 - 08:27 AM

UPDATE: Just to see if it works I tried to install Windows 7 on an unrelated Dell desktop and it installed wonderfully. So these do work for any Dell and not just those particular laptops.

Platypus... The IT guy that gave the DVDs to me owns the laptops as it's his company that is doing the IT work for the building.
-TeachPower
TeachPower.net founder

#7 MarkGS

MarkGS

• Members
  • 245 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2011 - 08:46 AM

They are going to be DELL OEM discs, typically those reinstallation discs are model specific because of the motherboard tattoos. But, if it worked for you and isn't prompting you for a product key then more power too you.. now as for selling them I don't see there being a large base of people looking for those discs..

#8 Teach Power

Teach Power
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2011 - 11:36 AM

Thanks for the info everybody. I will definitely take all this info into consideration as to what I do with them.
-TeachPower
TeachPower.net founder

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users