Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Black screen instead of booting

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 acco_lite

acco_lite

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 PM

Posted 07 August 2011 - 05:55 PM

HP laptop dv 2000, about 7 yr old. HD = Hitachi speedstar 7200 rpm, about 1 yr old. Win XP pro install is about 1yr old. This laptop gives a black screen on power up. No signs of life at all.

The first problem I noticed was a strange 1" square translucent window around the cursor arrow. Then within 15 min. or so it began giving a black screen for 5 sec. or so and then returning to normal, no error msg. The cursor would freeze and then immediate black screen and back to normal after a few seconds. I restarted, then I had system restore take me back to about 1 week ago and had Microsoft Security Essentials run a full scan, finding nothing. that seemed to help for 15 min. or so and then I started getting the blackouts more frequently, several a minute. Finally black screen only, no boot. Power comes on, some back lights come on, and I think I can see the screen's back light come on, but alas, no one seems to be home. A tech at Fry's pulled the battery, put it back in and tried to boot and told me that given the laptops' age, the motherboard likely died. There have been no drops or traumas recently (or ever, really). I revere my machines like the Dalai Lama, putting fans under them, cleanup, defrag, nothing is too much to ask.

I would be happy to save this laptop long enough to export files and settings, but in the meantime I've moved into data recovery mode. I have pulled the Hard Drive and used another laptop to access it as an external drive. When I try to open (or move) the My Documents folder I get a message "access denied", which is upsetting. Could the password on my user account be the reason? I badly need a work around for this so I can recover my files.

The other thing I know I must have (so far) is my Outlook contacts and calendars. Any help on finding and recovering these things would bring to the helper blessings more numerous than the sands of the Ganges. I have looked through the tutorials but haven't found any help from them so far.
Let's allow more ram than anyone will ever need, say, 640 kilobytes.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 AM

Posted 07 August 2011 - 05:59 PM

To get access to your My Documents folder on another machine try the following: How to take ownership of a file or a folder in Windows XP?

#3 acco_lite

acco_lite
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2011 - 06:39 PM

That was fast! Thanks Cryptodan!! Trying this now. I'll post when I know more.

#4 acco_lite

acco_lite
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2011 - 10:36 PM

Cryptodan: It worked. You are a steely-eyed computer man and I am in your debt. I got my Outlook contacts and calendars out of there too. I knew I was looking for PST files but I couldn't find them in the sea of tiny files in system/system32/windows folders, but a search for "pst" on that drive turned them right up. There was a hiccup. 2/3 of the way through the transfer of the My Documents folder, I got the "access denied" msg again. When I looked, the bulk of the stuff was already transfered so I drag and dropped the rest manually. I don't know why that happened but it doesn't matter now. Thanks

#5 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2011 - 10:47 PM

Now we can focus on the other issues since you got what you wanted off the drive which is a good thing.

Did that arrow have any sort of pixelation around it like rainbow colored?

#6 acco_lite

acco_lite
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2011 - 12:07 AM

The 1" square window around the cursor arrow was impossible to see against my wallpaper which is mostly black. But when I moved the cursor down to the task bar I could see it and it was some sort of maroon(?) translucent. It seemed to be a consistent color, although it seemed like I could see fine lines on it, as if it were a reduced document, sort of. It was really hard to see. Very strange, and I don't know why a mother board failure would cause a thing like that.

My first thought was definitely malware, but after the blackouts led to a dead laptop I was willing to agree with motherboard failure even though the tech telling me that may have been eager for me to buy a laptop. The blackouts reminded me of a desktop I installed a bunch of cool stuff into leaving my power supply inadequate. With that in mind, I'm going to re-mount that drive and try the dead laptop with a different brick.

#7 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2011 - 05:01 AM

The video card on the lap top went caput.

#8 acco_lite

acco_lite
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2011 - 10:05 AM

Thats a good lead Cryptodan. This notebook came with a nvidia card, but it also had (pitiful) on-board graphics. It's probably time to pull the sheet over this valiant warrior. In looking over my previous posts, I realize that you helped me a year ago with this same laptop's windows re-install and HD upgrade, so I am thanking you for a second consult in a year on this same machine. I also realized that I had already awarded the sands of the Ganges. Now working on a substitute selection for you. Perhaps a gallon of gas?

#9 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2011 - 11:17 AM

No reward or award required. I do this for free here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users