Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't reinstall XP Home

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#1 floridaze

floridaze

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 AM

Posted 07 August 2011 - 02:33 PM

Heya, bleepin' buddies.

I have an old HP Pavilion 750n. I have an aftermarket 160 GB hard drive which is undoubtedly very corrupted. I'm trying to reinstall XP Home. I don't have the original HP disk, but an acquaintance loaned me a retail disk with which to use my original HP key.

Anyway, the computer boots and the installation begins. The trouble starts after the drivers and files are detected and installed. I get a screen saying that this disk does not contain a Windows XP-compatible partition, and return to the previous screen and create a compatible partition. On that screen is:

157066 MB Disk 0 at Id 0 on bus 0 on atapi [MBR]
Unpartitioned space 157065 MB

I've tried several times to create partitions of various sizes. It takes me back to the no compatible partition screen.

I had previously tried a TON of boot disks on this HDD to wipe the corrupt data and repartition/reallocate. I'm sure that's where I corrupted several sectors or clusters. Is that why I'm having this problem? Do you think there's any hope for this HDD at all? If so, what can I do to work around this endlessly looping screen and get XP on it?

Thanks a million!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,541 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 AM

Posted 07 August 2011 - 02:46 PM

To be honest...I suspect that it's the hard drive. 160GB drives that I purchased brand new (back then) have all been retired from use by me (I try not to use a hard drive after 5 years past the date on it), no point in expecting miracles re functionality.

I suggest running the appropriate hard drive manufacturer's diagnostic on the drive...to see if it's worth the trouble...before trying to install any O/S.

Free Hard Drive Testing Tools - Hard Drive Diagnostics - http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolsofthetrade/tp/tophddiag.htm

Such diagnostics are avalable for download/use from the website of the hard drive manufacturer. You need to get the diagnostic that matches your hard drive. The manufacturers's label indicates model and manufacturer.

Louis

#3 floridaze

floridaze
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2011 - 02:58 PM

Thank you Louis. I appreciate your help in not wanting me to waste any time. But I actually did that a good while back, while trying all of the different boot disks. Oddly enough, the drive (Hitachi Deskstar) actually passed all Hitachi tests via CD. Yet not many partitioning programs will detect it, much less partition it, and now the XP system disk is having problems.

I was really hoping to get XP on it, if only for the sake of doing a chkdsk and maybe being able to skip any bad sectors. But if the bleepin' experts around here say that the drive is ruined, I'll give up, at long last, although a replacement 160 GB IDE drive would cost a fortune, and probably not last a terribly long time either. Although the original 80 GB drive which came with the machine is still perfectly fine, but I digress.

I'm losing hope of any workaround, but just maybe, somehow, someway. Thanks again.

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 AM

Posted 07 August 2011 - 03:04 PM

Heya, bleepin' buddies.

I have an old HP Pavilion 750n. I have an aftermarket 160 GB hard drive which is undoubtedly very corrupted. I'm trying to reinstall XP Home. I don't have the original HP disk, but an acquaintance loaned me a retail disk with which to use my original HP key.

Your Key will not work with the Retail CD. You need an OEM Disk from HP to use your HP Key from.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,541 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 AM

Posted 07 August 2011 - 03:12 PM

I just thought of another thing...HP (and other OEMs) do not necessarily use a standard boot cofiguration.

In order to install anew...all existing partitions must first be deleted...then the Windows install disk may be able to format/install.

I would insert the Windows CD...get to the screen where it shows existing partitions...and delete whatever is showing.

XP install CDs...particularly MS OEM/System Builder CDs...expect to find a clean hard drive, with no partitions, no formatting. I'm aware that you called it a "retail disk" but that includes OEM/System Builder versions of XP which were/are sold by retailers.

Louis

#6 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 PM

Posted 07 August 2011 - 03:13 PM

how many hardrive that plugged to your system when you installed WinXP?
does it on Master or Slave?

almost forget, have you update your BIOS before?

Edited by abauw, 07 August 2011 - 03:14 PM.

:guitar: Take me to a place where time is frozen
You don't have to close your eyes to dream :busy:
You can find escape inside this moment :smash:
And I will follow  :whistle:

#7 floridaze

floridaze
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2011 - 03:14 PM

Ohhhh. A few other people told me that any XP Home disk should work. (Except I read that Dell disks are proprietary to Dell motherboards.) Thanks for clearing THAT part up!

Do you think I have an additional problem with my hard drive integrity, or is the non-HP disk likely the entire problem?

#8 floridaze

floridaze
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2011 - 03:22 PM

I just thought of another thing...HP (and other OEMs) do not necessarily use a standard boot cofiguration.

In order to install anew...all existing partitions must first be deleted...then the Windows install disk may be able to format/install.

I would insert the Windows CD...get to the screen where it shows existing partitions...and delete whatever is showing.

XP install CDs...particularly MS OEM/System Builder CDs...expect to find a clean hard drive, with no partitions, no formatting. I'm aware that you called it a "retail disk" but that includes OEM/System Builder versions of XP which were/are sold by retailers.

Louis

Aha, you're on the same wavelength as Cryptodan now. Now that I look at the disk closely, even though the guy who loaned it said it was a "generic retail disk," it looks like it IS an OEM disk. It says "for distribution with a new PC only. For product support, contact the manufacturer of your PC." So no support from MS, thus it's not retail? But it doesn't say HP, nor any other brand.

BUT, I also did try to delete what that screen was showing, the "unpartitioned space," which was the entire 160GB. Nothing happened when I pressed "D" as instructed.

#9 floridaze

floridaze
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2011 - 03:24 PM

how many hardrive that plugged to your system when you installed WinXP?
does it on Master or Slave?

almost forget, have you update your BIOS before?

I only have one hard drive plugged into my computer, and it's set on cable select.

I've updated my BIOS to boot first from CD-ROM, and also to cable select for any hard drives, instead of master and slave.

Thanks for your reply.

#10 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 AM

Posted 07 August 2011 - 03:42 PM

Set the jumper to Master cable select can cause multiple issues.

#11 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2011 - 03:53 PM

I only have one hard drive plugged into my computer, and it's set on cable select.

I've updated my BIOS to boot first from CD-ROM, and also to cable select for any hard drives, instead of master and slave.

Thanks for your reply.

Nope, that was BIOS Setup not BIOS Update, but as you have mention about BIOS Setup, could you search LBA setting, just find "LBA" word and write what is on that word/setting on your next post.

Do your previous Hardrive is 80gb and you was trying to install in 160gb Hardrive?

Do your WinXP Home have Service Pack on it or not?

Edited by abauw, 07 August 2011 - 03:57 PM.

#12 floridaze

floridaze
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2011 - 04:00 PM

Set the jumper to Master cable select can cause multiple issues.

Thanks Cryptodan. I'd always done fine before with cable select when using either one or two hard drives, but then, I'd never tried to reinstall XP before either ... ! I'll let you know how that goes. Much appreciated.

#13 floridaze

floridaze
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2011 - 04:05 PM

Nope, that was BIOS Setup not BIOS Update, but as you have mention about BIOS Setup, could you search LBA setting, just find "LBA" word and write what is on that word/setting on your next post.

Do your previous Hardrive is 80gb and you was trying to install in 160gb Hardrive?

Do your WinXP Home have Service Pack on it or not?

I haven't updated my BIOS from the manufacturer, no.

Yes, my previous HDD is 80GB, and I'm trying to do a clean install of XP on a 160GB HDD. The BIOS/motherboard is capable of handling 160GB.

The copy of XP on this install disk has SP2 on it. (I'd of course download SP3 and install it immediately, along with all of the huge number of updates since SP2, if I can get this disk to install.)

Thanks again.

#14 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2011 - 04:22 PM

I haven't updated my BIOS from the manufacturer, no.

Yes, my previous HDD is 80GB, and I'm trying to do a clean install of XP on a 160GB HDD. The BIOS/motherboard is capable of handling 160GB.

The copy of XP on this install disk has SP2 on it. (I'd of course download SP3 and install it immediately, along with all of the huge number of updates since SP2, if I can get this disk to install.)

Thanks again.

Capable to recognize 160gb hardrive but not means your BIOS supported it?
There is LBA Limitation on old version of BIOS.

But could you do a litle experimen. Please find Computer that could installed WinXP on over than 160gb Hardrive and try to install your 160gb Hardrive on that Computer and see does it installed successful or not, just need installed Windows no need to install driver or any software, usually installing WinXP less than a hour.
~ If it successful installed that means you BIOS / Mainboard have LBA Limitation, doesn't know by updating your BIOS could fix your problem or not, but you could give it a try but PROCCED IT AT YOUR OWN RISK.
~ If it not successful been installed that means your hardrive have some problem.

Edited by abauw, 07 August 2011 - 04:23 PM.

#15 floridaze

floridaze
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2011 - 07:29 PM

OK, here is the latest info --

Per Cryptodan's advice, I moved the jumper from cable select to master. It didn't help. I'm still stuck in the same loop with the partition problem.

Per Abauw's advice, I looked at the BIOS, and there is no mention of LBA at all. (This computer was built in late 2001 or early 2002, if that might be the reason?)

I have another 80GB drive which I don't mind being overwritten, unless you tell me beyond a doubt, Cryptodan or anybody else, that I can't use this disk (which now seems to be OEM, although not an HP) on an HP computer. If that's the case, I won't wipe that drive needlessly. But I do in fact NEED to install XP with my original HP key on that drive, because it currently has an XP OEM key on it, and I know that's not cool to have. But I don't want to attempt to install my good key until I have a disk that we know will work.

Thanks for the past, present, and future advice, very much.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users