Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

AMD Phenom X4 9850 Quad Core under clocked?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 ronfiveo

ronfiveo

• Members
  • 147 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 AM

Posted 07 August 2011 - 01:35 PM

I just got through installing a new mobo to replace the old one.

I went to CompUSA and asked for ASUS which is the brand I bought.

I asked for a an AM2 board so I could still use my Althon 64X2, but they said that all new boards are going to AM3 , but they did have an AM2+ but he was not sure if it would support an AM2 CPU like my old one.

So, I bought an AMD Phenom X4 9850 Quad Core Processor. (HD9850XAJ4BGH - 2.50 GHz, 4MB Cache, 2000MHz (4000 MT/s) FSB, Agena, Quad Core, OEM, Socket AM2+ , Processor) and had a computer shop other than CompUSA's to install it.

The mobo is an ASUS M4A785-M. (AM2/AM2+)

At this point I guess I could have gone to another board's specs since every thing would be new, but I still was not quite sure about it so I just kept the AM2/AM2+ idea.

Now it seems slower than the old processor and I wonder if the BIOS clock speed is miss-set some how?

I think it is supposed to clock around 2.5GHz or there about but it's around 1255MHz (1.25GHz ?)

I have included a screen shot of CPUZ to show how it's performance matches up to what it should be....seems quite under clocked...yes?

Is there any way to go into the BIOS and get it back to normal factory specs?

Thanks, Ron

Attached Files

Edited by ronfiveo, 07 August 2011 - 01:54 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2011 - 01:55 PM

Sounds like the same problem I had, when first installing my Phenom II X4 955.
It was clocking at half the rated speed.
The board had shipped with an older BIOS version, which did not support the newer processor.
A BIOS update, to the newest version, corrected the problem.

EDIT:
Looking at the specs, if your BIOS version is 0304, or lower, you will need to flash your BIOS to a newer version.
Looks like you need version 1006.
A link to the download:
http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD_AM2Plus/M4A785M/#CPUS

Scroll down to Phenom X4 9850, and then click the GO>> button.

Be very careful when updating the BIOS.
Make sure you read, and then re-read the procedure on how to do it.
One false step could brick your mobo.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 ronfiveo

ronfiveo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 147 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2011 - 02:04 PM

ASUS has an update , but I tried to down load it and it came in a zip file with a .ROM file in it. Is this the BIOS file?
Do I send that file to a disk or a flash drive and insert it at boot up ?

There is also an ASUS EZ Flash2 utility that will install the file , but I am unsure how to do that even after reading the instructions in the user guide.

Suggestions?

#4 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2011 - 03:01 PM

I have no experience with flashing an ASUS Bios, so it's not something I would feel comfortable attempting to explain.
We'll have to wait for one of the ASUS experts to weigh in.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

#5 ronfiveo

ronfiveo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 147 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2011 - 03:08 PM

Sounds good to me

It might be possible just to enter the BIOS upon prior to start up (using the delete button) and just changing the multiplier but I would have not a clue
what the correct one should be, and I am definitely not an over-clocker or a clocker period to know enough to be able to do that kind of an adjustment.

So, guess we will wait for an ASUS aficionado to respond.

Thanks tg1911.

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 PM

Posted 07 August 2011 - 03:54 PM

Even though not recommended try downloading the Afudos BIOS update tool V2.41 from this link http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD_AM2Plus/M4A785M/#download and try updating the BIOS via that method.

Also look at Chapter 2 of your user manual. It will outline all steps to update your BIOS.

Edited by cryptodan, 07 August 2011 - 04:41 PM.

#7 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2011 - 04:35 PM

You're welcome, ronfiveo.

It might be possible just to enter the BIOS upon prior to start up (using the delete button) and just changing the multiplier .....[/i]

The multiplier is not the problem.
The problem is that your BIOS version does not recognize that processor.
That's why it needs to be updated (flashed).

#8 ronfiveo

ronfiveo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 147 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2011 - 06:31 PM

Ok I updated to Version 1006 and there has been no change it's still the same as shown in the CPUZ attachment in earlier post.
I did however notice that in the CPU Support list this specific CPU was not listed.

Shown as supported :

Phenom X4 9850 (HD9850WCJ4BGH,rev.B3,SocketAM2+,Quad-Core

Phenom X4 9850 (HD985ZXAJ4BGH),2.5GHz,125W,rev.B3,SocketAM2+,Quad-Core

MIne being (HD9850XAJ4BGH-2.50GHz,4MB Cache)
It's the same number with the exception for the "rev.B3"

So what do I do ?

#9 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2011 - 06:42 PM

You may have to manually set it up.

#10 ronfiveo

ronfiveo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 147 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2011 - 06:43 PM

OK, how would one go about doing that?(me being the one)

Edited by ronfiveo, 07 August 2011 - 06:44 PM.

#11 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2011 - 07:00 PM

you would have to know the clock speed and the multiplier which should be in the manual.

#12 ronfiveo

ronfiveo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 147 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2011 - 10:03 PM

I looked in the manual and it just gives the supported CPUs and the bios settings menu...not anything about the CPU parameters or the default settings for specific
CPUs.

I am going to have to do some more research on this and see if AMD has a list of specific PCU default settings for the ASUS mother board.
I am thinking that it will be pretty standard clock speed and multiplier settings no matter who makes the board....yes?

I'm off surfing the net to try to find out.

Ok, here's what I found specifically.....

"With stock BIOS settings, the AMD Phenom 9850 processor runs with a 200MHz bus speed and has a 12.5 multiplier that are used to reach the final core clock of 2.50GHz"

So how do we work with this.

Edited by ronfiveo, 07 August 2011 - 10:32 PM.

#13 ronfiveo

ronfiveo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 147 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2011 - 08:45 AM

Ok after a lot of research, what I did was entered BIOS and turned off " Cool N Quiet " and "C1E" options, then went into the control panel and changed the power saving option to high performance.

The options I changed was putting the CPU into a " green " mode to save energy and lowered the CPU out put on Idle and that resulted in it showing the lower clock speed for the processor.

The system is running warmer now, about a rise of 6c (47c) average on the temperatures . I might need a new or more efficient CPU cooler.

I will keep you informed if any problems arise.

I do thank you for all your help and advise!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YOU GUYS ROCK!!!!!!!!!!

Ron

Edited by ronfiveo, 08 August 2011 - 08:46 AM.

#14 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2011 - 10:37 AM

So its running at the proper clock speeds?

#15 ronfiveo

ronfiveo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 147 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2011 - 10:49 AM

Yes it's running like it is supposed to and actually a tad more (25511.2MHz) with multiplier of X12.5 = 3.18GHz if my math is right, so it all was an adjustment in the BIOS (turning off options) and a adjustment in the power options settings in the control panel.

During my research I found that the Max. temperature for this CPU to remain at is 60c and right now it's running at about 47c on average so I guess until I can afford a new CPU cooler (a good one) every thing seems fine.

When I purchased this CPU the sales rep said when questioned about the GHz rating that it was mostly the cache that mattered .

I asked about it because my old processor was a 3.2GHz Althon II 64 X2 duo core and it just seemed a little faster than this quad core.....I think he's wrong but then again it's just a thought.

Thanks

Ron

Edited by ronfiveo, 08 August 2011 - 11:16 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users