Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot open Google or Sites using Google

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 joyceyoc

joyceyoc

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 AM

Posted 07 August 2011 - 01:15 PM

I use Windows XP Home addition and for the past year I have not been able to use Google at all. I did not change ISP and I have contacted them in the past for this issue and they directed me to Windows support. Althought Windows support helped me go through many steps we still could not get it to work. I am hoping someone can help.Thank you!!!

Edited by hamluis, 07 August 2011 - 02:35 PM.
Moved from XP to Am I Infected.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,563 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 AM

Posted 07 August 2011 - 01:40 PM

Past year?

Did anyone stop to think...that the network device may not work?

Do you have any documetation on what MS Support had to offer in the way of explanations/guesses?

System manufacturer and model?

Louis

#3 joyceyoc

joyceyoc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2011 - 01:54 PM

My computer is a Gateway and uses intel Pentium4. Is that what you are asking. We went through many steps. I may have some of the old emails we sent back and forth. Might take me some time to round them up.

#4 joyceyoc

joyceyoc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2011 - 01:57 PM

Here is one of the emails. I tried all that he told me to try. Nothing worked

Dear Joyce,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Online Support Service. My name is Tiger, and I am glad to work with you. For your reference, the case ID for this service request is SRX1126138844. You can contact me by sending an email to v-30tigw@mssupport.microsoft.com with the case ID in the subject line.

First, I would like to apologize for the delay in responding to your support request. Please be assured that you have successfully contacted the correct support team and I will be working with you to address your concerns as quickly as possible.

From your description, I understand that the Google website could not be visited properly. If I have misunderstood your concern, please do not hesitate to let me know.

I understand the inconvenience this issue has caused. Please be assured that I will do my best to assist you in resolving it.

The issue can occur if the system is infected with virus/malware or the DNS settings are incorrect. At this time, I suggest scanning for virus/malware to test the issue.

Step 1: Remove Trojans or viruses via Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

==================================================

1. Download freeware Anti-Malware Remover (Free Version) from

http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php

Please Note: The third-party product discussed here is manufactured by a company that is independent of Microsoft. We make no warranty, implied or otherwise, regarding this product's performance or reliability.

2. After downloading it, please double-click the downloaded file to install it.

3. After installing it, please launch it to scan and remove Trojans or viruses.

4. After it finished, restart the computer and check whether the issue persists.

Step 2: Change to Another DNS Address

===============================

1. Click "Start", and click "Control Panel".

2. Open "Network Connection".

3. Right click on "Local Area Connection" and select "Properties".

4. Highlight "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)" and click "Properties".

5. A popup window titled "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP Properties)" will open. Please select "Use the following DNS server address."

6. Set the IP Address for "Preferred DNS Server" to 4.2.2.2 and "Alternate DNS Server" to 4.2.2.3

After performing the above steps, please visit the Windows Update web site to check whether the issue is resolved. In addition, please capture a screenshot of any error message that is received during the troubleshooting.

What’s the result?

If the issue still persists, please help me to collect the following information for further research:

Screenshot of the error message:

==========================

1. When the error message comes out, please press the Print Screen key (PrtScn) on your keyboard.

2. Click "Start", click "Run", type "mspaint", and click "OK".

3. In Paint, click "Paste" under the Edit Menu, click "Save" under the File menu, type a file name for the screenshot, choose JPEG as "Save as type", click “Desktop” on the left pane, and click "Save".

3. Please find the screenshot on the Desktop and send it as an attachment to : v-30tigw@mssupport.microsoft.com.

System Information

================

The System Information can provide us with more information about the current status of the system and I would like to check it for you. Please send it to me using the following steps:

1. Click "Start", click "All Programs", click "Accessories", click "System Tools", and click "System Information".

2. On the popup window, on the menu bar, click "File", and click "Save" to save it as an NFO file, such as system.nfo.

Please send it as a mail attachment to v-30tigw@mssupport.microsoft.com.

How to send an attachment

=====================

1. Locate the file you want to send, right-click it and choose "Send To" -> "Compressed Folder" from the pop-up menu, and click "OK". A new compressed file will be generated on the Desktop.

2. Right-click the compressed file, click "Send To" -> "Recipient".

3. Please send it to v-30tigw@mssupport.microsoft.com.

Note: When attaching files to emails, the process will vary depending on the email application being used. While you are composing the email, most applications will provide you with either an "Attach" button or a Paper Clip Icon to click in order to attach a file. After clicking this button/icon you must browse to the file you wish to attach and select it by either double clicking it or clicking it once and then clicking on the "Attach" button.

Please try the above steps and let me know the results at your earliest convenience. If there are any questions or concerns, feel free to let me know.

If you have any feedback regarding Microsoft support, we would be glad to hear from you. If you would like to provide your feedback directly to my manager, Bill, please send your email to < v-30bilp@mssupport.microsoft.com>. My manager will be happy to hear your comments and suggestions.

I look forward to your reply.

Have a nice day!

Best Regards,

Tiger

v-30tigw@mssupport.microsoft.com

Microsoft Windows Support Professional

You asked us to make everyday tasks faster and easier, to make your PC work the way you want it to, and to make it possible to do new things. And that's exactly what we've done. Learn more about Windows 7®!

#5 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,513 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2011 - 02:10 PM

Are you using a router? If so, another user had a similar problem where he could not
connect to just one website.
Here is a link to that topic: Single Website will not connect
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic412725.html/page__p__2358302__fromsearch__1#entry2358302

Edited by buddy215, 07 August 2011 - 02:11 PM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#6 joyceyoc

joyceyoc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2011 - 02:14 PM

I am sorry. What is a router? Not sure if I am using one. Is that one of the little devices that hook to your computer anywhere? If so, not I am not. I use Clear.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,563 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2011 - 02:34 PM

<<The issue can occur if the system is infected with virus/malware or the DNS settings are incorrect. At this time, I suggest scanning for virus/malware to test the issue.>>

I think we need to move this to a malware forum...someone will assist you.

Louis

#8 joyceyoc

joyceyoc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2011 - 02:57 PM

I have run Malwarebytes and my virus scan and they come up with nothing.

#9 joyceyoc

joyceyoc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2011 - 03:05 PM

How do I move it to Malware forum?

#10 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,513 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2011 - 04:11 PM

Clear supplied you with a modem. Have you spoken to Clear to help you?
Will Clear swap out the modem? I suspect that is where the problem lies.
I know nothing about how to reset their equipment. You would need their help.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#11 joyceyoc

joyceyoc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2011 - 03:27 PM

I have spoken with Clear about the problem and I even recieved a new modem. But still not able to open Google.

#12 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,513 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2011 - 03:57 PM

When did you get a new modem?
Do you have the same IP address as you did before swapping modems? If you know.

#13 joyceyoc

joyceyoc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2011 - 02:32 PM

I got my new modem in Spring 2011. Still had same issue though. I don't know if my IP address changed. Clear did not feel that the problem was on thier end. They did some checking and could not find any issues. Any suggestions?

#14 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,513 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2011 - 03:31 PM

I know you were advised by Microsoft to change dns settings.
But let's try a different one. Open Dns is what I use. It is simple to
set up and you can easily switch back if you decide to. Here is a link to
a how to do it. It is free.
How do I ... configure OpenDNS in Windows Vista? | TechRepublic

That is my last suggestion except if this doesn't work I would contact Clear again
and ask how to change your IP address.

#15 .X.

.X.

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 PM

Posted 19 August 2011 - 03:03 AM

Does Google display if you visit this IP? http://74.125.229.208/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users