Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Boot Problem

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 DSM_23

DSM_23

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 PM

Posted 16 January 2006 - 06:14 AM

Ok, my desktop has been acting up lately due to popups etc, and I noticed that i couldn't access certain things anymore, example, I was just opening up device manager and it couldn't be accessed. I began to think internet explorer was causing alot of the headace, so I went to download Firefox, then realized I could not download it, or anything off the internet for that matter, It said " your security setting wont allow you to download this file." I decided to boot up in safe mode to run a virus scan, well, as soon as I rebooted, it would get to the windows loading screen and then say that the computer cannot boot in safemode then it would restart. I then put in the XP cd and it said that the boot file was corrupt and needed to be repaired. I have no idea how i'm supposed to log onto the computer now, especially since all that it does it restart automatically. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.
justin

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 PM

Posted 16 January 2006 - 10:51 AM

Are you able to get into Windows at all? Are you able to boot into any of the options other than just Safe Mode? (Last Known Good Configuration, etc)?

Does the computer boot to the Windows Setup screen when you put the CD in the drive and boot from it?

Are you using NTFS or FAT32 for your file system? Do you have any way of backing up your data?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 DSM_23

DSM_23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2006 - 03:01 PM

If the computer doesnt have the XP cd in it the computer will just boot up and get to the the black desktop screen for safe mode, and then say the computer cannot run it safe mode it must now restart and continue on in this cycle. If the Xp cd is in it will get to windows setup (blue screen) and load all the stuff on the cd. My C drive is NTFS, and my other recovery drive is FAT32. Whenever I tell it to repair the current XP edition on my computer it asks me for an adminstrators password. I am the admin, and there is no password on the computer so I have no idea what im supposed to type for the password here. Thanks for the replies I hope this info helps.
justin

#4 franktiii

franktiii

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2006 - 03:39 PM

If you are booting from the windows xp cd and do a repair, it shouldn't be asking for a password. If you choose reinstall it will ask for you to create an administrator password.

#5 DSM_23

DSM_23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2006 - 04:37 PM

well i didnt think it would ask me for one either but it does and I dont understand why because this computer has never had a password on it.

#6 DSM_23

DSM_23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2006 - 04:00 PM

Any other suggestions I could try?

#7 franktiii

franktiii

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2006 - 04:24 PM

Are you trying to use the recovery console? or Repair?

The first screen you come to asks if you want to use the recovery console, it will ask for password. Say no here. The next screen offers a choice of reinstall or repair. Choose repair and follow on screen prompts. This route should not ask for a password.

#8 DSM_23

DSM_23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2006 - 01:22 AM

Ok yes I did the recovery and it asks for the password so i did the repair, and it goes on and begins to repair it and then stops and says its corrupt or something like that, and restarts :S This is really making me mad now. Thanks for the replies and keep them coming.

#9 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2006 - 08:17 AM

Can you run it to get the error again? The exact error message will help us to track down the cause.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#10 DSM_23

DSM_23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2006 - 02:39 PM

ok I ran the repair again, and it finished this time successfully, and after it restarted it booted up in safe mode again and said ithe same msg, "cannot boot up in safe mode must restart now". I hit F8 on startup and no matter what boot selection I pick it ALWAYs boots in safe mode and just repeats the same msg and restarts. :S

#11 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2006 - 03:15 PM

I'd suggest that you try this version of a repair install (it doesn't use the recovery console and is a different procedure than the one that you did): http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

Please note that you've gotta select "Install" in the first screen - and then later on it will give you the option to repair (it's the 3rd screen I think).

Also, please read the directions fully before attempting this - it can get a bit tricky!

#12 DSM_23

DSM_23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2006 - 04:36 PM

Well i just got around to doing the guide you suggested and once again it didnt work. It continues to boot up in safe mode, and just restart :S.......... Is the only thing left to reformat it? I reallllllly hope i dont have to lose all my music and videos. Please help :S

#13 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2006 - 10:57 AM

Nope, it's not the only thing left!

But, we're in for some hard work! This can be a hardware problem. The steps for fixing a hardware problem are based on:
1) Removing as much hardware as you can (and still have enough stuff left to operate under normal circumstances)
2) Runing some Hardware test utilities (some require Windows, some don't)
3) Substituting "known good" hardware for questionable hardware. This involves swapping stuff around, borrowing hardware from elsewhere, or buying hardware to test with.

Can you do all of this? If so, we'll get a start on it. Or, you can go the full format and reinstall route to see if that works. Your call!

Good Luck!

#14 DSM_23

DSM_23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2006 - 01:56 PM

lol, yes i can do all of that, Im not sure about the swapping parts with known good ones since I dont have others, but anything else should work. I got help from a computer tech last night on a chat help site, and we installed a version of linux i believe, on my laptop, burned it to a cd to run on the desktop and I put it in and started it up to run it and it will just do the same thing.... :S this thing is rediculous. The program I was told was supposed to run as kindof its own program and let me edit the boot.ini file, which I belive is my ultimate problem. Hmmmm whats my next step?

#15 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2006 - 12:54 PM

So, am I correct in assuming that you get the same problem with Linux that you have with Windows?

Also, what is the exact make and model is the system?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users