Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Changing CPU Frequency

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Airanth

Airanth

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 AM

Posted 07 August 2011 - 09:55 AM

I have been getting periodic system hangs along with slow performance when my computer is plugged in as opposed to battery power. While running a RAM- and graphics-intensive program with my laptop on on battery power, resource monitor shows that CPU is running at around 110% maximum frequency. But as soon as I plug in my laptop, resource monitor shows that CPU frequency stays around 75% with the same programs running. Plugging my laptop in causes sound and graphics to be choppy and slow. I am running Windows 7 Ultimate SP1. I have made sure that the power plan options are consistent for both battery power and plugged in. Are there admin settings or something that is limiting CPU frequency when my laptop is plugged in or is there software I can install to fix this problem? Thanks!

EDIT: With more Googling, I found something called NHC (Notebook Hardware Controls). This might be what I'm looking for to change AC power hardware settings but they only have it for 32bit systems. If anyone knows of an alternative compatible with 64bit systems, please let me know!

Edited by Airanth, 07 August 2011 - 10:08 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users