Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Stuck in Startup Repair

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 jakejackson001

jakejackson001

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 AM

Posted 07 August 2011 - 05:14 AM

Hello,

I have a Sony Vaio laptop which is only a few months old. Here is the problem: i was trying to uninstall the trial version of office 2010 (after failing to activate it properly) and after going into control panel and clicking on "uninstall" to remove the office 2010 software, the computer automatically shut down and restarted and went into startup repair. after running this a couple of times, it said it was unable to fix the problems and asked to send the report to microsoft. then it just shut off by itself. i turned it back on and chose to "start windows normally." even then it went into startup repair and was again unable to fix the problems. then it just became stuck with a blank screen so i had to force power off. now i am not sure what to do. i don't want to keep restarting it only to go into startup repair and burn something out by turning it on and off so frequently.

i know the problem has to be with the office 2010 uninstallation and it's not malware or virus.

i'll really appreciate any tips in how to get my brand new computer back and working and also getting rid of the office 2010 junk software!

thanks so much!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 AM

Posted 07 August 2011 - 07:28 AM

If you have no image backups of the drive to recover from and no data on the machine that is critical to life, I would suggest restoring the laptop back to factory condition. This can be done by holding Alt + F10 at boot.

#3 TheShooter93

TheShooter93

Cody

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,793 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2011 - 05:05 PM

Do you have a Recovery CD, Windows 7 CD, or Recovery Drive (partition)?

If so, reformatting would be a good option after backing up important data.

You can backup important data by accessing Safe Mode and transferring the data to a flash drive, external harddrive, or other means of media storage.

How to Access Safe Mode

While the computer is turning on, tap F8 once every second until a black screen with white text appears. Using your arrow keys highlight the option Safe Mode and hit Enter.

CCNA R&SCCNA Security | Network+  |  B.S. - Information Technology | Security Engineer

If I am helping you and have not replied within 48 hours, please send me a private message.

#4 jakejackson001

jakejackson001
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2011 - 08:17 PM

Hello,

No, I do not have a Recovery CD, Windows 7 CD, or Recovery Drive (partition). The only thing I have is my data backed up to a hard drive.
Also, after trying to get in using Safe Mode w/ networking, I had no luck - startup repair turned on again and was again unable to repair anything.

Not sure what my options are since I can't get through.

I don't have much saved to this computer (because it is quite new) so restoring to factory conditions is an option if nothing else works.

Are there any drawbacks to going back to factory settings? What happens to the current state of the computer?- Does that get stored away somewhere or is it completely erased?

Thanks everyone!

Also, just in case I go with this, since my data is saved on a WD drive and the way it works is that it creates separate back up files (each with their own identity) for each of my computers, will the drive recognize my computer after it has been restored to factory settings?

Edited by jakejackson001, 07 August 2011 - 08:21 PM.

#5 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2011 - 07:49 AM

If you plan to restore the laptop to factory conditions, (provided the recovery partition is not corrupt), your machine will be as it was when you took it out of the box. Everything will be erased and you will have to reinstall any programs you have added to the original install.

After recovery is complete, it may be a good idea to create repair disk(s) and/or image the hard drive in case you run into problems in the future.

#6 MarkGS

MarkGS

• Members
  • 245 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 AM

Posted 08 August 2011 - 08:53 AM

To my knowledge all Sonys are shipping out with a recovery partition.. as soon as you turn the PC on and see the Sony logo stat tapping F10 until you see a "loading windows files" notification, or when you see the Sony logo tap f8 and select "repair my computer" if the option is applicable.

#7 jakejackson001

jakejackson001
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2011 - 02:11 AM

HI all,

Thanks for all of your replies. Safe mode does not work- startup repair takes over. And when it is finished, it cannot fix the problem and I am left with basically a vegetable of a computer.

After startup repair ends, the screen is literally blank and the computer has no function (at least from what I've tried) and so my only option is to force a power off, which is obviously something I should avoid.

If there is one method I should pursue first in order to deal with this problem with my computer, I'd really appreciate it, because obviously this being a forum, anyone is welcome to provide their suggestions.

The only reason I say this is because I don't want to burn out the motherboard by repeatedly turning the computer on and then forcing power off because I'm trying all the different suggestions I am receiving. If there is one option I should try first, please let me know.

Thanks for all your help.

#8 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2011 - 06:23 AM

First thing you should pursue is acquiring your Windows 7 install media, jakejackson001. Without it, you are (as you say) stuck with; "a vegetable of a computer". Once you have this tool, you will have many options available.

Edit: From what I understand (I could be wrong), Sony provides recovery disks with a machine. If this is not the case, contact Sony and let them know that the recovery partition is corrupt and your machine is a brick - you need recovery disks. If they want to buck, you may want to think about optional ways of acquiring the Windows 7 install media.

Edited by bludgard, 14 August 2011 - 06:46 AM.

#9 jakejackson001

jakejackson001
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2011 - 04:13 PM

Hi all, thanks for all the help. i tried F8 and then "last know good config" but once again startup repair turned on. it couldn't repair the problem, but at the end it had an option to go to system recovery so from there i chose to restore the computer to a date before this problem began, but again upon restart after system restore, startup repair turned on again. what should i do now?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users