Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No Internet After System Standby

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 furball

furball

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 PM

Posted 16 January 2006 - 03:16 AM

Hi
I'm new here so Hello to everyone.
My new laptop goes to standby after a while of no use. When I wake it up again it's impossible to access the internet without restarting the computer. I have DSL via etheret, and that shows up as connected. Nothing wrong with the modem, the other computer gets internet.
What is it with these powersaving options? They caused crashes in my old laptop. Should I just turn it off? :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,074 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2006 - 10:55 AM

Try repairing your network connection when you resume.

Also, try opening the properties and open the TCP/IP service. Then close it without changing anything.

Does your connection resume than?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 furball

furball
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2006 - 03:24 AM

Thanks usama, for those tips.
I did open up the TCP/IP pages and closed them again. Yesterday we had powercuts so I didn't get a chance to test it , but this evening I haven't had a problem yet. Maybe it worked, OMG! Time will tell.

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,074 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2006 - 08:15 AM

I hope it worked for you! This is only a "kludge" to get around the problem - not a solution!

I did this for several years - then it magically went away! I'm starting to suspect that it was a problem with my ISP.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 furball

furball
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2006 - 09:08 PM

Hi again.
After playing with these solutions for a while I've come to the conclusion that it doesn't work, unfortunately.
But I also have a clearer picture of the symptoms. In the end I turned off all power savings and still have the problem of internet not being accessible after a period of inactivity (at least an hour of so). The only way of getting internet again is to restart the computer. So I think that rules out the power savings as being the culprit. Also there is the odd occasion when I start up the computer in the morning and I have to restart before accessing internet.
Another bizzare occurence is that the power saving settings keeps reverting to the default every time I turn the computer off, even though I save the new settings. On other computers we've had, similar problems were solved after finding and changing power saving settings in BIOS, and I was surprised to discover there were no such settings in this computer's BIOS. :thumbsup:
Isn't it funny how problems can just appear and disappear out of the blue and we're all none the wiser. Maybe windows is just one complicated computer game where we are to solve problems and go on to bigger challenges, the end revard being a job with Microsponge. :flowers:

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,074 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2006 - 09:29 AM

Generally (from what little that I've seen of this problem), it's a "rogue" program which insists on changing your settings in the power options (and probably doesn't relate to the internet problem).

Another cause could ba a weak connection (I don't know how this works with DSL). With cable, the more splits in the cable, and the more dirt in the connections - the weaker the signal. I solved a similar problem at my house by rewiring the connection inside the house.

#7 furball

furball
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2006 - 04:44 AM

Hmm, if it was the wiring then all three puters would be affected, wouldn't they?
Rouge programs, what are they?

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,074 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2006 - 11:46 AM

I have no clue about how the DSL is wired - but it could be a dirty connection anywhere in the chain (starting inside of each computer). Also, the network cards my not be exactly the same - so that some may be more sensitive than others!

Rogue programs are (my definition BTW) are programs that change important settings without telling you about them - and reinforce these changes even when you change them back.

Some programs do this deliberately (the anti-spyware programs in particular) - while others may do it without your knowledge. I also learned, just recently, the changes to Windows can affect the settings in your BIOS (for example - the time settings do this). It's not unreasonable to figure that other programs may be able to do this also.

I've read of another similar problem on another forum - and thet's where the discussion is headed right now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users