Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Drafting Chair vs. Office Chair

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Ubiq

Ubiq

• Members
  • 253 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 AM

Posted 06 August 2011 - 07:43 PM

The drafting stool that came with my table isn't very padded and I want to replace it because I expect to be spending hours at my desk again this fall. I sit forward, either typing or reading mostly, and I do this for hours at a time.
The office chairs at my local Staples felt so cushy but didn't extend high enough(24"+) or have a footstool(a must).
Their only drafting stool was miserable to sit in and so I guess I need to buy one online, but how do I do that without trying it out first?
Does anyone on this site have a website they trust for this sort of thing?
I buy very little online and so I'm nervous about descriptions on overstock.com or whatever.
Should I just chuck my lovely drafting table and get a lower desk?
Problem is I don't want to spend more than $150 on this and I'm not sure I can get a big enough desk and a decent chair for that. Plus I just love my drafting table, even with my sore bum!
Any advice or product recommendations would be much appreciated, because last semester was really agonizing.

Machine: Toshiba Portege r705-P41, Dual Boot: MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit; Ubuntu 15.04
CPU: Intel Core i5 460M @ 2.53GHz Arrandale 32nm Technology,
RAM: 4.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 532MHz (7-7-7-20), Motherboard: TOSHIBA Portable PC (rBGA1288 Socket)
Video Card: Intel HD Graphics Revision 2 1720 MBytes

Speccy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,009 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2011 - 10:41 AM

Some ideas:

Could you get a cushion for your present chair?

Have you checked out the chairs at other local office supplies?

I personally wouldn't order a chair online; one really needs to try out the chair to know if it will work well for him/her. The only exception would be if you already have or know of a chair that works well and you find an identical one online.

And no, there is no way to get a decent chair and desk for $150. A good chair alone can swallow up most of that all by itself.

Can you read lying on the sofa or bed?

~ OB
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#3 Nawtheasta

Nawtheasta

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2011 - 03:20 PM

Any places near you that deal in used office furnishings? When places go out of business dealers will go in and buy up stuff fairly cheap. You might find a slightly used high quality chair within your budget.
Some of the newer stuff is very cheaply made and even though it looks good now you might be replacing it in a year or two.My office chair came from a company I use to work for.We had an auction when we shut down. Auctioneer forgot to put a lot number on it so it missed getting sold. Was probably 20 years old then. I've had it 22 years.Unfortunately nothing lasts forever and I will need a replacement soon :( .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users