Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop Problem

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 speedi800

speedi800

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:57 PM

Posted 16 January 2006 - 12:09 AM

i have a HP omnibook 2000. i got it for free from a friend and the hard drive was reformated using dos, and now it will not read the cd drive so i cant put windows back on it. AAHHHH!! what do i do???? how do i get windows back on the machine? i need to get it running or its just junked. i hope someone can help! thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 VB4

VB4

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 PM

Posted 16 January 2006 - 12:38 AM

Well first of all what operating system are you intending to be putting onto it. If it is Windows 95 or 98 you will need a bootable floppy disk for them. But any other OS they should boot from CD unless you have a bootleg that is a bed copy. It may also be that in your BIOS settings your CD-Rom is not set to one of the boot priorities. Anwser these and I will have for to go from!

For fast computer answers, visit SparkCore. A brand new computer forum with dedicated members, who will get you the answers you need to solve all your computer problems.

#3 Salo

Salo

• Banned
  • 108 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2006 - 01:11 AM

Wait so does it currently have dos installed on it? OR is it just a blank drive without a functioning cd drive?

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 PM

Posted 16 January 2006 - 02:15 AM

If your floppy works you could alway download the boot floppy from http://www.bootdisk.com . Is this your notebook?
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#5 speedi800

speedi800
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2006 - 04:43 PM

i dont think it has dos on it anymore. it just does the memory check from bios then nothing. it doesnt have a floppy drive either. i am trying to put windows 2000 on it originally but it didnt work so i thought 95 would work but its not. i dont have a floppy for 95 also remember it doesnt have a floppy drive. it is a HP omnibook 2000. its old and pretty much a piece of crap. just thought i could use it to let the kids play around on. if anyone can help me please do you can also contact me on yahoo IM at speedi800 also on AIM at speedi800. thank you very much.

#6 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2006 - 04:57 PM

Did you get it to boot to the CD? If so try Puppy Linux. It is only 40meg download and comes internet ready.
How much RAM is installed?

#7 speedi800

speedi800
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2006 - 07:54 PM

it doesnt recognize the cd drive at all. and it doesnt have a floppy drive. i have a windows 95 disk in it but it keeps giving the same message.... non system disk please insert and retry. but i dont think the cd is even spinning or reading. i need another way to install windows or at least install DOS so i can install it that way.

#8 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2006 - 08:19 PM

Can you enter the BIOS setup? Back when this notebook was made CD were just becoming standard. The BIOS may be set to Boot "Hard Drive Only:.

#9 speedi800

speedi800
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2006 - 10:17 PM

ive checked the bios setup and its not set to hdd only but the problem i see with that is the only thing the bios shows the laptop having is the hdd and a floppy. but there is no floppy drive on this laptop. i guess they replaced it with the cd drive. thats my problem though is how to get it to use the cd drive.

#10 VB4

VB4

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 PM

Posted 16 January 2006 - 10:45 PM

yeah they may have had a swap-able kind and you just got the cd-rom, i am kinda puzzled, the cd-rom may be bad, or it is prolly a BIOS problem, not really sure how to tell you, b/c i do not know what the BIOs says exactly. What is the current boot priority set to?

For fast computer answers, visit SparkCore. A brand new computer forum with dedicated members, who will get you the answers you need to solve all your computer problems.

#11 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2006 - 10:53 PM

Your CD maybe bad. According to the link your computer came with a CD. It was able to accept a paralel floppy. A used CDrom on eBay is about $20 +-. Bad CDroms are not that uncommon.

#12 speedi800

speedi800
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2006 - 02:48 AM

i believe the boot priority is set to floppy then hdd but it doesnt have a floppy drive.

#13 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2006 - 09:46 AM

It's been awhile since I worked with DOS, or '95. If I remember you have to boot on a lot of old computer with a DOS disk that enabled the CDrom. It was later that the CDrom was handled in the BIOS.
The last option I can think of, without buying a paralel floppy, would be to start the install in your desktop. When you get to the restart point put it back into the notebook and prey you have all th drivers and it does not stop from swapping back to the old computer.

#14 speedi800

speedi800
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2006 - 12:44 PM

what are you talking about? start what on the desktop? how would starting it in one computer then switching computers install it on my old laptop? the old laptop has NO OS at all, and no DOS that i can tell. i dont understand what you mean. sorry

#15 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2006 - 07:28 PM

Once the install is started on a computer with a cd it will put the files neccessary to start the CD. At the point you place the Drive back in the notebook it will be usable. You would complete the install inside the old computer so that th driver (which are loaded last) would install matching the old computer. This is the long way around but unless you are going to install a floppy I really don't see another option.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users