Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

strange CPU installation problem

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 paganpan

paganpan

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 AM

Posted 06 August 2011 - 04:26 PM

I recently purchased a BIOSTAR TP67XE motherboard and an Intel Core i3-2100 Sandy Bridge CPU for a computer I am building. I put everything together and tried to boot. The case LEDs as well as internal motherboard LEDs lit and the fans spun for a fraction of a second then stopped. Took me a while, trying different things out, but I came to realize that the problem was processor related. If I removed the CPU entirely, the computer turned on and stayed on. If I put the CPU in, but didn't clamp it down, it still worked. as soon as I clamped it was down, the computer shut off. I tried applying slight pressure on the processor with my thumb instead of using the clamp and that too prevented booting. For some reason it seems any pressure on the CPU into its socket causes a problem.

Both the motherboard and the processor are under warranty, but I would really love to not have to send them back.

Are there any solutions/possible causes?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MarkGS

MarkGS

• Members
  • 245 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 PM

Posted 06 August 2011 - 05:38 PM

Are any of the pins on the CPU bent? Is the clamp damaged in any way? Is there anything in one of the sockets for the CPU pins?

#3 paganpan

paganpan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2011 - 06:08 PM

no, and the CPU is a 1155 socket. it's weird, because the pins are on the board and the CPU just has flat plate contacts (should have said that in OP, sorry). all the pins on the board are strait and present.

#4 HiroPro

HiroPro

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 AM

Posted 06 August 2011 - 11:12 PM

The moment it powered up without the socket lever in place it probably fried the CPU. I would never do that again if I understand rightly that you moved the lever while it was powered on. Also understand that the heatsink is pressing down and it moves on the horizontal plane about 4mm on ZIF sockets. Your lucky it was LGA and it doesn't move on the horizontal plane. If one does that with ZIF you bend all the CPU pins. How did you manage to move the lever with the heatsink attached in the first place?

I would guess the initial issue would have been due to BIOS incompatibility with RAM or processor. A simple motherboard firmware/BIOS update with working CPU and RAM would have fixed the issue but I can't help but believe you have damaged the CPU at this point and possibly the motherboard.

PS If returning the product I would consider a different motherboard. The Gigabyte P67A-UD5-B3 is a better choice. I'd also consider an i5-2500k unlocked if you can swing the extra 50 or so bucks.

Edited by HiroPro, 07 August 2011 - 02:36 PM.

#5 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2011 - 12:36 PM

I would agree with hiros advice, you should never attempt to boot a computer without the heatsink installed. The only saving grace is intel cpus have overheat protection and will shut themselves off, and without a heatsink that would be virtually immediately. If it had been an AMD chip it would likely explode in your face. I would check that your board has the correct bios for your cpu by checking the boards manufacturers website, and then if its the wrong one update it using a working cpu, if not I would try resetting the cmos and trying the cpu with the heatsink and thermal interface fluid properly installed. Again, never attempt to boot a computer without the heatsink and TIM installed.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#6 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 PM

Posted 08 August 2011 - 01:28 PM

Silly question, You were not trying it with no heatsink were you? If no heatsink your sequence of events is about right, Turn on, Turn right off due to overheating the CPU. I'm thinking no heatsink as there is no way to work the lever or press on the CPU without removing or never installing the heatsink.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users