Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't access Start Menu, BIOS, Task Manager, etc

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 mrdave100

mrdave100

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 PM

Posted 06 August 2011 - 04:18 PM

I have an old HP machine and when I turn it on it does not indicate that windows is loading or even give me the option of pressing ESC or F10 to get to the BIOS. It goes straight to the desktop but I can't see the Start Menu or access programs. If I hit Ctrl, Alt, Delete, nothing happens. Any thoughts as to how I could get to the BIOS? I'd like to load LINUX on it, probably SUSE since it's an older machine.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 PM

Posted 06 August 2011 - 04:57 PM

If you are going to install something other than Windows...what's with BIOS, Start Menu, etc.?

When is the last time the system worked properly? When did things change?

Pertinent error messages received?

One thing I suggest...before you attempt to install any O/S, it's worth the time to run the appropriate diagnostic on the hard drive.

System model?

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users