Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

defragmentation AND windows installer dont work

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 boombassbox

boombassbox

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 PM

Posted 06 August 2011 - 04:13 PM

Hi there,

I found this forum looking for help with my slow system (XP Pro 2002, SP3).
I went through the "slow computer" troubleshooting checklist that is posted on BC.
I also checked some preferences by going to: Start - Control Panel - Administration - Services.
Doing this I used the list on the following page (german site):

http://www.windows-tweaks.info/html/dienste.html

Performance is better now, but I could not defragment my computer (last step of the BC list).
Thereīs no error message, it just doesnīt start (tried to do it in safe mode, still wonīt work).
So I tried to defragment with Diskeeper and Perfect Disk, but installation doesnīt work for both of them.
Instead an error message appears, saying that Windows Installer Service could not be accessed.

Tried to fix this by following these steps:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315346/en-us

Both methods presented on that page did not work out. When trying to reinstall Windows Installer, my system tells me thereīs no need to, since Iīm already using SP3 which includes the Installer.

I also could have screwed sth up by using Autostarts by Sysinternals when I was going through the troubleshooting checklist on BC.

I Did make a backup before I started, but when I wanted to use system restore, the backup was gone.
Looking through the system restore preferences, I found out that the system restore was disabled (which it wasnīt when I did the backup).

Thanks in advance to anyone trying to help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,577 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 PM

Posted 06 August 2011 - 04:51 PM

System manufacturer and model?

Have you tried running chkdsk /r? Running the appropriate hard drive manufacturer's diagnostic on the hard drive?

How large is C: and how much free space currently in C:?

Louis

#3 boombassbox

boombassbox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2011 - 07:50 PM

Hello Louis,

Itīs an IBM Netvista, type 6349-79G

I did run scandisk/chkdsk and I just ran the IBM Enhanced Diagnostics Tool, every test passed.

C: = 18GB (12GB free space).

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,577 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2011 - 08:15 PM

Some modes of chkdsk...don't try to repair anything...which is why I asked specifically if you ran the chkdsk /r command or the equivalent.

I don't find any support tools suggested for use by that system...at the Lenovo website.

If you did not run the chkdsk /r command, I suggest doing so.

Start/Run...type chkdsk /r and hit Enter. Reboot the system, the command should execute...and then boot into XP upon completion.

Louis

#5 boombassbox

boombassbox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2011 - 09:31 PM

I just ran the chkdsk /r command, no errors were found.
The only tool on my system is the IBM Enhanced Diagnostics Tool I mentioned above.
Couldnīt find anything helpful on the lenovo website,too.
:(

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,577 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2011 - 06:26 AM

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=8483

Click the last button marked Download...do not save it to your hard drive, click Run...agree to terms.

Louis

#7 boombassbox

boombassbox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2011 - 10:25 AM

Hi Louis,

I clicked that download button, yet I was only offered "save" and "Cancel", there was no option to run it directly.
(save - install - reboot didnīt help btw).

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,577 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2011 - 11:35 AM

Then something is wrong with your system...that site is a direct download site and IE always gives the option of Run/Save when downloading files, in my experience.

Louis

#9 boombassbox

boombassbox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2011 - 12:16 PM

Youīre right, I used Firefox before. Tried again now with IE and could run it.
But I still get the same error message when trying to install a defrag program.
Do you think uninstalling Windows Installer first and then run it again with IE could help?

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,577 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2011 - 12:32 PM

The Windows Installer...is a system file, it cares not what the browser is or is not.

It installs to Windows, it's a Windows resouce that browsers use.

If it's properly installed in Windows for one browser...it's properly installed for any browser.

If you want...you can go to C:\Windows\System32, scroll down to msiexec.exe, then right-click on it to see what version it is. It should be 4.5.

Try to install a different program, please, as a test...but run the chkdsk /r program first. Your file system/hard drive may be the problem.

Louis

#11 .X.

.X.

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 PM

Posted 19 August 2011 - 02:34 AM

Make sure DCOM Server Process Launcher Service in your services is set to automatic and started. DCOM Server Process Launcher Service causes InstallShield installers to fail and defrag to not run.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users